Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default John Lamb - Cumberland - b. about 1795?

Hello B-G Cumbria

My mother's family was established in Australia when George Lamb, with his wife Jane and children Mary-Ann, John, Robert, George and William arrived in Sydney in January 1864 aboard the "Ocean Empress". The deposit for their voyage was paid by John Lamb in May 1863. I believe John died in about 1866.

I think that George's mother may have been Hannah Jackson, who married John Lamb in 1815 (also recorded as 1823) and have been following that line but now I have a doubt.

George Lamb (b.1822) is shown to be a "chimney sweeper" in Census records. This is supported by the occupations shown on the passenger list - George and the older boys are all listed thus.

My complication is that I have discovered, in the 1841 Census, a George Lamb of about the right age living with an older John Lamb and Mary Sowerby (?). Young George is a "chimney sweeper". Another George Lamb, again of about the right age is living with a Lamb family group that includes a Thomas Jackson. Jackson being the surname of Hannah, who married John Lamb.

Am I overthinking this? Can someone assist with the true identification of George's parents, John and ...., along with Georges siblings, please? If George is the son of John and Hannah, he was the second born and among his siblings are John, Frances, William, Thomas, Mary Ann and James.

I welcome any assistance, advice and/or suggestions, please.

Best wishes ... John

Name well known on Brit-Gen

1861 Census has the family living at RG9 3899 19 31 George & sons are Sweeps.

1851 H107 2426 230 2 Has George & Jane plus Mary Ann / John / Robert living in a Tent on Tarn Moot Upper & Nether Heskett, George is a Basket maker, traditional Romany activity as is a ch sweep. I am not suggesting that the family have Romany connections merely passing an observation

1841 HO107; Piece: 174; Book: 12; Civil Parish: Penrith; County: Cumberland; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: 7; Page: 8; Line: 21;

John Lamb aged 60 a sweep born 'out of the county'
    George Lamb 15 sweep born in the county
    Mary SOWERBY 50 ...could e housekeeper??

George was baptised St Andrews Penrith 11 October 1822 s/o John & Hannah
    othersd baptised with parents John & Hannah at St Andrews

George bp 29 Nov 1816 bu 27 March 1818
    John bp 7 April 1819
    William bp 24 October 1827

Have you looked at the parish register entry for George to see if there is any addition.....familysearch.org only carries a resume.

You can order the Parish records via the Family History Centre https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator

Dundee10

The immigration record does name George's parents as John and Hannah (both dead) and his relatives in the colony are brothers John and Robert who are living in Dubbo.

It looks like John could be the chimney sweep of Cumberland aged 20 who was tried for burglary in 1839 and transported for ten years on the ship 'Maitland' in 1840. Possibly following Robert also a sweep and farmer's boy aged 17 who was tried in Cumberland for house breaking in 1830 and transported for life on the ship 'York'.

Did any of his sibs stay in Scotland? If any of them died in or after 1855, their death certificate should give both parents names.

Find My Past has a transcribed record for the baptism of William, 24 Oct 1827 which also includes "Death date 31 Jan 1829"

The Westmorland Gazette,13 March 1830, has a short report of a Robert Lamb, age 15, being tried, found guilty and sentenced to transportation.

Find My Past has the transcribed baptism of Robt Lamb, bap 28 Nov 1813 at Kirkby Stephen, Westmorland, parents John and Hannah
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Thanks, geneius (great name!) for your thoughts, which reflect some of the leads that I have been considering. I am comfortable with John (1819) and William (1827) being siblings of "my" George (1822) but unsure of George (1816 - 1819) unless he was the first born of John and Hannah and George (1822) was named in his stead. As John and Hannah were (perhaps) married in 1815, an 1816 birth does make sense.
    I have looked at limited Parish registers via "Dusty Docs" but am at a loss to properly identify John Lamb and Hannah Jackson as the "John and Hannah" associated with George (1822) and his siblings.
    Again, many thanks for your thoughts and advice. Cheers ... John

Starting to feel at home

G'day, Dundee 10

Once again you have come up with something I had not considered. Mum's family is still firmly ensconced in the Central West so John and Robert are certainly related to "my" George. John (20) aligns perfectly with the John born to John and Hannah in 1819, and whilst I haven't encountered Robert in the context of this family yet I will look a bit harder.

You have also torpedoed my thought that the John Lamb, whose Will was read in 1866, was the John Lamb of my quest, as George, Jane and family emigrated in 1864 and both John and Hannah are shown to be dead at that time.

I will look further into the transportation of John and Robert. Interestingly, John Lamb is shown to be the owner (at one time) of a property at Minore, near Dubbo, where "my" George died in 1868.

My quest to identify John (circa 1797) and Hannah continues.

All the best ... John

Starting to feel at home

Thank you, helachau, for your information regarding William, who is a sibling of the George (1822) whom I was certain was the George Lamb who emigrated to Australia with his family in 1864, however, I am now having second thoughts.

You have corroborated facts tendered by Dundee 10 regarding Robert Lamb. If "my" George was a brother to Robert and John, both of whom were transported at different times, then I think I have been working with the wrong Lamb family group. There appears to have been more than one set of "John and Hannah Lamb" as parents in the Cumberland area who suit the general birth year span of "my" George.

Thank you for your kind assistance. My quest to positively identify John and Hannah Lamb, parents (both deceased by 1864) of George, who joined his brothers John and Robert near Dubbo in the mid 1860s continues.

All the best ... John

janbooth

Confirming what Jean has already found for you, Ancestry Select Birth & Christenings have the baptism of George LAMB son of John & Hannah LAMB at St Andrew Penrith on 11 October 1822. Other children baptised to this couple at the same church are:

29 November 1816 George LAMB buried 27 March 1818
    7 April 1819 John LAMB
    24 October 1827 William LAMB

Hannah wife of John LAMB was buried at St Andrew, Penrith on 11 December 1828.

All these transcriptions are available to view on Ancestry.

Janet

janbooth

Further to the above, I wonder if the marriage shown on Ancestry of John LAMB & Hannah JACKSON on 23 April 1825 at Muncaster should perhaps be 1815 and is a mistranscription or perhaps the other way round. The only way to be sure is to look at the actual parish register image.

There is a death registration in the September qtr 1844 at Penrith registration district which could perhaps be your John LAMB. This coincides with a burial record on Ancestry on 14 July 1844 at St Andrew Penrith for a John LAMB, but unfortunately no age shown.

Janet

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast