Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Residence Note

Thank you Squaredancer ! will try and look at the originals !

I've also had a look at the images of the enumerator's books as provided on Ancestry and I agree with Peter (#7), PB is Parliamentary Boundary, in this case it's New Woodstock. Page 1 of the book gives the possibility of recording the Parliamentary and Municipal Boundaries (the latter not relevant in this case). The Registration District is also Woodstock.

The abbreviation "PB" does not appear anywhere in the book that I can see - it's presumably come from the transcriber.

BTW many public libraries have subscriptions to databases like Ancestry for the use of their readers, alternatively keep an eye on their site as they sometimes have weeks when they give free access.

Parliamentary Boundary
    Boundary, or Borough? Peter says Borough.
    Alma

Both. "Within the Parliamentary Boundary of the Borough of.."
    And I have to take back what I said about the abbreviation, I missed a page. On the first page of enumerations, at the top of the column headed "Place" it says "Village PB". Thereafter it's just ditto marks.

Reputation beyond repute

Peter says Borough.
    And he still does

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Boundary, or Borough? Peter says Borough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    And he still does
    The two enumeration books for Wootton, the next-door parish, also have P.B. written against the very first entry. In these, unlike the one for Stonesfield, the Place column includes a number of different localities; it would be a strange co-incidence if P.B. referred to just the first entry in each book, so I think it must be taken as applying to everything in it - and in Stonesfield as well.

"Parliamentary Boundary" doesn't really make sense on its own, so I agree with Peter that it must be "Parliamentary Borough".

Arthur

There isn't any argument, Arthur. Peter is perfectly correct.
    What is said on the description page is as I quoted in #15. Within the parliamentary boundary of the parliamentary borough. No clerk is going to write that on every page if they can get away with an abbreviation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12