Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Residence Note

Default Residence Note

Hello - I'm looking at my ancestors in the 1841 census and in the column "Residence Note " it lists a lot of my ancestors as living "Village PB " anyone know what this means ? Many thanks

What was the name of the enumeration district? and where was it - England? Wales? Elsewhere?

Possibly: parish boundary, or parliamentary boundary
    Alma

Reputation beyond repute

There is no "residence note" column in the 1841 census for England & Wales. Please provide the full standard reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    There is no "residence note" column in the 1841 census for England & Wales. Please provide the full standard reference.
    The only column where I've seen 'village P.B. mentioned is in the one headed 'Place'
    Alma

Thank you everyone . I checked my ancestor info.in the 1841 census (Stonesfield , Oxfordshire ,UK) and it does say - Residence Note -Village PB. So I think it probably means Parish Boundery .

Reputation beyond repute

I repeat, there is no column called "residence note". I don't know what you're looking at.

As it happens, I scanned through the Stonesfield enumeration book and there is only one address in the parish and that is "Village P.B." This is in the "Place" column where we'd expect it to be.

"Parish Boundary" doesn't make any sense to me. A place is either within the boundary of a particular parish or it isn't.

"P.B." I think indicates Parliamentary Borough. There is a big clue in the description of the enumeration district at the start of the book. The Parliamentary Borough may not seem very important to us but it seems that it was to the census authorities.

Knowledgeable and helpful

The transcriptions on FamilySearch for the 1841 census have a section called "Residence Note" - could that be what Zingari is looking at?

Yes - my information came from the Family Search site . I do not have access / or do not know how to look at an enumeration book for Stonesfield.Is the FS information different to the actual/official records ?

Knowledgeable and helpful

You'll find the censuses on sites like Ancestry and FindMypast - subscription or pay per view or free at big public libraries. The 1881 census is free. FamilySearch transcriptions are just that - someone looked at the originals and wrote down what they thought they saw - and that can be very wrong! It pays to check the originals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast