Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default George Bailey born 1805 Swallowfield Wilts.

George Married Elizabeth Smith, 1830 at Reading. My Gr. Gr. Father Alfred Charles Bailey b. 1833 Burghfield Berkshire.
    I am unable to establish parents of George. Thanks Norm. Bailey

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Norman.

Family Search has a George BAILEY baptised 31st March 1805 in Swallowfield, Berkshire. The parents are George and Jane.

Swallowfield was originally in Wiltshire but was shifted into Berkshire (see https://www.berksfhs.org.uk/genuki/BRK/Swallowfield/)

Peter

The 1841 Census has a George BAILEY aged 70, living in Swallowfield, Wiltshire and born in the county.

His age (which may have been rounded to the nearest 5 years) means that he may be George Snr.

Peter

Hmmm! There's an obvious anomaly between Swallowfield being located in Berkshire in 1805 and Wiltshire in 1841.

Looking at a present day map of Wiltshire, I can't see how the county could ever have reached as far as Reading in Berkshire.

Perhaps Genuki has mislead me (or I'm losing it!).

Peter

Anyway, the info in my previous posts should be taken with a pinch of salt, until the enigma is solved.

Peter

This seems to be the answer (from Wiki):

"In the 13th century, Spencers Wood was administered by William Longespée, Earl of Salisbury and his court in Amesbury. Hence at that time Spencers Wood was part of Wiltshire (as was much of the surrounding area). Nearby Swallowfield was split between Wiltshire and Berkshire, with Part Lane marking the partition. In fact, it was only on 20 October 1844 that Spencers Wood and the surrounding areas became part of Berkshire"

and:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counti...arts)_Act_1844

Peter
    Last edited by elsinore; 01-04-2016 at 1:09 AM. Reason: Grammar

I've moved this thread to the Wiltshire forum - it'll get more attention there than in Navigating Brit Gen.