Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Hernamans - buried & married, where born?

I'm currently having fun sorting out my Cornish lot. One family, the Hernamans of St Clement, Truro, is causing a bit of a problem. I've been using the Cornwall OPC site and the parish registers on FamilySearch and have found the baptism dates of the children of John and Ann (nee Williams):

Elizabeth - 8 Mar 1807
    Thomas - 14 Apr 1808
    Jenifer Lilly - 11 Jul 1815
    John - 10 Dec 1817
    Philip Francis and Anne – 19 Mar 1826

I was surprised that there are huge gaps between children, and on looking further, I found the burial records of John aged 5 buried 10 Aug 1815 and Anne aged 3 buried 5 Nov 1815 – but I can't find baptism records to match. There should be one in 1810 and one in 1812. FindMyPast's index shows birth and death dates for these two, so I'm wondering why I can't find them in the parish records of St Clement.

I also found a Harriet Hernaman's marriage record (as daughter of John Hernaman) on 6 Oct 1837, but I can't find a baptism record for her. She is shown as being of full age so would have been born before 1816 - and would have fuilled in another gap! I saw on one site that she was born in 1813 but I can't find anything to confirm this.

Can anyone help, please?

Wilkes_ml

Have you checked the non conformist baptisms?

I've only got access to the Cornwall OPC but I've checked on there. As all the baptisms I've found were at St Clement I would be surprised if they'd gone Non-Conformist for a few Although anything is possible!

There are a few Non-Conformist baptisms with father John on ancestry but they are in Devon and none with a mother Ann.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    There are a few Non-Conformist baptisms with father John on ancestry but they are in Devon and none with a mother Ann.

Christina
    Thanks for looking. I'm wondering if they were away from home for a while? John originally came from Devon, but as a captain of a vessel he could have moved around a bit and taken his family with him.

FMP's index has birth and death years for John and Anne jnr, so would they have found an actual record of the births or baptisms, or just guessed the years from the date at death? Of course as I can only see the index I can't see where the events occurred.

The baptism record for John is only a transcript and has the barest details of year born and baptized (1817) and parents, which you already have.

Anne's transcription is taken from familysearch.org,

Did your John jnr die in 1895 and was a seaman?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

The John whose birth I am looking for was buried (aged 5) at St Clement on 10 Aug 1815. The burial is in the parish records, not just transcriptions, as is the burial of an Anne on 5 Nov 1815 (aged 3), giving birth years of 1810 and 1812 respectively.

FMP has them in the index with birth and death dates. I'm wondering if FMP just calculated the birth years from the age at death, or if there are real birth/baptism records somewhere for them.

The baptism for John in 1817 is a later, different child. As the John who died in 1895 was aged 77, it could well be him. I believe this one became an Assayer of Minerals and later an Assay Master.

John Hernaman, the father, was a master mariner or captain of a vessel. I haven't established yet when he died, as I've only recently started on my Cornish relatives.

I did find a record on FamilySearch for a John Hernaman in 1810, with parents John Hernaman and Ann Williams, but it was in Greenock.
    Birth: 19 February 1810
    christening: 26 March 1810
    WEST OR OLD PARISH, GREENOCK, RENFREW, SCOTLAND
    residence: 1810 Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland
    No sign of Anne born 1812 there.

I suppose it would be entirely possible that some of the children of a ship's captain might be born away from their home district, but that could be anywhere...
    Last edited by Squaredancer; 01-04-2016 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Got Johns mixed up! Deleted error.

I downloaded the record of the Greenock birth from Scotland's People (they had a great offer of 20 free credits!) and I'm pretty sure it's the correct one. John Hernaman is recorded as a shipmaster which ties in with his occupation on the other children's baptism records.