Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Taking a child from an institution

My mother, Elizabeth Ford, was unofficially adopted in 1913 from Wigmore Schools in West Bromwich. I have found the record of her entry into Wigmore and also her release. I am now trying to find out the record of the application to adopt her. Presumably there had to be an official application to some higher authority. My query is, who would the application have to be made to, and how can I find out about these records and where they might be held?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Adoption did not become a legal act until 1927. Prior to that date adoptions were arranged without legal basis, usually informally. a few cases there was some legal documentation, but no central register.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Megan. I have seen the Admissions records for Wigmore. They give child's name, date of birth and family circumstances. The release records give child's name, date of release and sometimes a comment. In my Mothers case it said "released by order of the clerk by telephone". What I am trying to find out is to whom the application to "adopt" would have had to be made and who made the decision as to whether or not that person would be allowed to take the child. I have looked at the minutes of the meetings of the Board of Guardians and they are only concerned with the day to day administration of the school; appointment of staff, costs of food and fuel and things like that.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I doubt that you will find much else.

The following link is to the National Archives guidance about poor law records, which might give you some ideas:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rty-poor-laws/

This link is to Peter Higginbottom's page about West Bromwich - he is the acknowledge best source of information on workhouse, poor law and where records can be found:
    https://www.workhouses.org.uk/WestBromwich/

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Megan. I shall try those two sources.

Knowledgeable and helpful

As an alternative to adoption you might find a guardianship certificate such as the one one my website here
    https://anguline.co.uk/cert/guardian.html

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Reputation beyond repute

The poor law authorities seem to have had an ambivalent attitude here. Although they were quite prepared to deport children in their care, they also agonised over whether they had the legal right to give up children for adoption.

According to Gibson & Rogers "Poor Law Union Records", very little has survived from the West Bromwich and Walsall unions. I suspect you may have been quite lucky to find what you have found.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    As an alternative to adoption you might find a guardianship certificate such as the one one my website here
    https://anguline.co.uk/cert/guardian.html

Cheers
    Guy
    Thank you Guy. I had never heard of guardianship certificates, so I shall keep,the term in mind when I am searching. Regards

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes, I think I was lucky. At the time that my Mother was in Wigmore Schools, her Mother was in Hallam Workhouse. I understand that no records survive of that institution. The reason that I am so keen to find out more information surrounding her "adoption" is that I have recently come across information that strongly suggests that the family who she went to were, in fact, her grandparents, being her father's mother and second husband. I hope that makes sense. Regards Jackie