Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Administration Bonds.

I know what probate is but i've come across document for relative of my husbands named Matthew Lattimer. It says 28 January 1843 administration bond, penal sum £2,000; Mathew LATTIMER, grocer of Nenthead in the parish of Alston in the county of Cumberland. Died 2 June 1839.
    Can anyone tell me what this means.
    Thanks.

Reputation beyond repute

I take it you haven't actually got a copy of the bond and you're just quoting from a catalogue.

OK I see it on the Durham University site. An administration bond is an agreement that if the job isn't done properly, the bondsmen will cough up the stated fine.

If you poke around elsewhere on the Durham University site, you'll find a good explanation -

https://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/NEI_bonds.htm

Knowledgeable and helpful

The bond tended to be about double the value of the estate.So, if bond was for £200 the estate was worth about £100.pwholt

Red face Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I take it you haven't actually got a copy of the bond and you're just quoting from a catalogue.

OK I see it on the Durham University site. An administration bond is an agreement that if the job isn't done properly, the bondsmen will cough up the stated fine.

If you poke around elsewhere on the Durham University site, you'll find a good explanation -

https://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/NEI_bonds.htm

Thank you very much peter. As you've guessed i don't have the actual Bond. In fact i was looking for something else and came across this by accident. I've had a quick read about bonds following the thread you gave me. It does seem a long time after the death for the penal sum of £2,000 to be called in. Unless of course i've misunderstood. I'm very grateful for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    The bond tended to be about double the value of the estate.So, if bond was for £200 the estate was worth about £100.pwholt
    Thanks for the information. I'm very grateful.

Reputation beyond repute

1843 would be the date administration was granted. The penalty only applied if the administrator didn't carry out his duties properly.

Default Bond

1843 would be the date administration was granted. The penalty only applied if the administrator didn't carry out his duties properly.
    As this person died in 1839 is it usual to wait so long i.e 1843?

Reputation beyond repute

You really need to get a copy of the bond to find out who the administrator was. That might give you a clue. There are circumstances where the person involved could plod along quite happily without a grant until someone actually demands it - disposing of property for example.

You really need to get a copy of the bond to find out who the administrator was. That might give you a clue. There are circumstances where the person involved could plod along quite happily without a grant until someone actually demands it - disposing of property for example.
    Thank you.

Reputation beyond repute

Was there a widow? If she happened to have died around 1843, this might have a bearing on matters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast