Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Tooley family of Sheerness

Hello folks I'm hoping to throw some light on my Grandfathers family the Tooley.

William Tooley was born roughly in 1801 in Sheerness/Minster he had numerous children the majority of which were baptised in " the white Chapel" Wesleyan,

I wonder if any one knows if there are still Tooleys in the area, William was a blacksmith and lived in 1841 in either Chapel st or Chaple St.

Any info would would be really useful

Regards

John

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

I have moved your post from the Surname Interest forum because that is where you record the names you are researching and it is then locked. It is now in the Kent forum where it should get the attention of our members and some help and hints.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you

I wonder if any one knows if there are still Tooleys in the area, William was a blacksmith and lived in 1841 in either Chapel st or Chaple St.
    Hello John, have you searched the online phone book, there's a handful of Tooley's in Kent and one in Minster - on - Sea, Sheerness. Also you could check Electoral Rolls, FMP have them, a cursory check produced more than a few Tooley's in Sheerness. If you don't have a subscription to FMP ask at your local library as many have free access to FMP's database.

Is it only living relatives you are trying to trace? If you are interested in ancestors we can help with them, but only ones who are no longer alive, forum rules don't allow naming people born after 1915 unless you know for sure they are no longer alive.
    Alma

I'm really looking for William Tooley abt 1801 1841 census shows him and family in Sheerness, but I just can't find any birth record for him .
    His son was a smith like him and went on to work at woolwich Naval dockyard and for some time he went up to the govan shipyards.
    William seems to disappear.#
    Also is the white chapel still in use and do they allow access to their records?

janbooth

1851 census of St Paul, Deptford (HO107/1584, folio 642, page 19) shows a William TOOLEY & family living at 60 Broomfields and shown as born c1796 at Great Yarmouth, Norfolk.

Janet

Growing old Disgracefully

found him on 1841 census with wife Mary and 9 children
    John
    Isabella
    Heneretta
    Henry
    Harriet
    Maria
    Charlotte
    Levona
    Racheal

Could this be them in 1851 in the house hold of Isabella French at Greenwich, Depford Kent
    Transcribed as William Pooley
    wife Mary
    Henrietta Cooper
    Maria
    Charlotte
    Levean
    Emma
    other Children possibly of Henrietta
    Henrietta
    Elizabeth
    Racheal

Not able to give you reg no but found on A*****y (no sub)

janbooth

Further to the above, the 1841 census definitely states that William was not born in the county of Kent, so there is a baptism on Family Search of a William John TOOLEY at St Nicholas Yarmouth on 19 December 1796, son of William TOOLEY & Mary nee COWELL which would fit in with the 1851 census details.

Janet

jan you beat me to it

Have you tried Google to look for - The White Chapel-Wesleyan,Sheerness,Kent,England. You might find something about it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast