Default Photo information

Hi Could anyone help with this photo where and when etc any info please. Tom

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I would suggest the photo was taken from around 1915 - 1920, at some sort of recuperation facility, for Wounded, or shell shocked soldiers from WW1.

It seems like some sort a farm/agricultural environment, but as to where that is, is anyone's guess.

Is there any information on the back of the photo, regarding who took it, or any other info.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Thanks for that Steve, Its my grandfather 2nd left front, only go to know of its existence from a 2nd cousin who i contacted through Ancestry, have emailed her to ask if it contains any details on back. the cap badges are hard to see to give me some indication. His name was Edward Sweeney Dublin,
    Tom

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I assume he's Edward Sweeney, from Dublin, or is his name Edward Sweeney Dublin.

Did he survive the war.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Yes sorry Edward Sweeney from Dublin, Yes he did survive the war and had 12 Children.

Tom

Have searched this site and can find no record of him.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Tom

I think you came to us from Forces War Records so reading This will tell you a little about us and what we do.

WW1 records are licensed to ancestry or Findmypast. by The National Archives.

Looking at the sources acknowledgement on each site you visit will tell you what records each site holds.
    ancestry and FMP do have free library versions so your local library may have one or both. Be aware that 60% plus of WW1 records were destroyed in WW11 by bombing/fire so it is a very lucky person who finds records for their ancestor.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi,,can you provide further info on Edward....when was he born? who did he marry? this could help us to narrow down the search,if we manage to find any service records.

Default Hospital Blues

Most of the men are wearing "Hospital Blues" which indicates that the place is an Army convalescent centre or VAD Hospital.
    While I can't make out the cap badges with any certainty it is clear that the two on show are from different Regiments which again indicates Convalescence.
    Whilst the blues were sometime worn in France they were worn by virtually all wounded men in British Convalescent homes.
    None are Officers as they usually retained their uniform (to indicate their Rank) rather than adopt the much more comfortable blues.
    At first glance the setting looks agricultural but many VAD Hospitals that has limited ward space, erected wooden sheds to provide a day room for the wounded so this may be a small barn on a farm or it may be a day room being built or renovated or of course it may be both!
    If you can get your hands on the original it is worth using a scanner with the highest possible setting. This provides a large image which sometimes allows identification of cap badges that are too small and often other clues in the background that are not discernible on the original.