Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    grahamwilk

Default is it possible my G G/mother wasnt registered

My G Grandmother, Frances Wright was born March 1859, Timberland, Lincs. For some time now I have been trying to find her in the birth indexes to obtain her birth certificate, but without success !! Is it possible her record is missing? Is it possible that she was registered a few years later? I have found a match but in 1865 !

Thanks

Graham.

There is a birth reg for a Frances Wright in the Sleaford registration district June 1/4 1857 which I would think the more likely one. How do you know that your Frances was born March 1859?
    Sleaford includes Timberland.
    I see from the 1861 census that Frances is with her mother Mary A and two siblings? They are living with Mary A's sister and brother in law Sarah and John Wattam. Mary A Wright is unmarried.

Have you tried to follow the Frances born 1857 through the censuses?

Ah there is a Frances Wright born Swaton 1857 in the 1861 census with her father John. Swaton is also in the Sleaford reg district.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

grahamwilk

I had the same thought, then found the Swaton Frances on the 1861 census !! Frances' birth is recorded in a family bible, so I would think its correct

Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamwilk View Post
    I had the same thought, then found the Swaton Frances on the 1861 census !! Frances' birth is recorded in a family bible, so I would think its correct

Graham.
    I wouldn't bet on it Graham. My grandmother recorded previous generations in her family bible and got a couple of them wrong or her informant did.

Forgot to say it is very possible her birth wasn't registered, Are the births of Mary's other two children registered?

Took another look at the 1861 census. The enumerator has Mary A Wright as the unmarried sister of the head of the household, John Wattam and the 3 Wright children as his grandchildren. A bit of a mix up there with relationships.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Graham, do you have Frances' marriage cert, and if so who is named as her father, his occupation, and witness names.
    Alma

Is this Frances' marriage, if so she names her father as JOHN WILSON, if you don't have the marriage certificate it is essential you buy it to take your research further.

Name Joseph White
    Birth Date 1859
    Age 20
    Spouse's Name Frances Wright
    Spouse's Birth Date 1859
    Spouse's Age 20
    Event Date 1879
    Event Place Timberland, Lincoln, England
    Father's Name John White
    Spouse's Father's Name John Wilson
    Alma

thewideeyedowl

Default TNA Podcast

Hi Graham

Though Brit Gen will probably be able to find your great-grandmother skulking somewhere in the registers - lots of suggestions above - there were omissions and mistakes. And this topic is covered in depth in a podcast from TNA's Archive Media Player. It is called Early Civil Registration and is a talk given by Audrey Collins: https://media.nationalarchives.gov.uk...-registration/. Lasts 55 minutes, 19-page transcription available, so it is thorough. You can download the audio file.

Audrey Collins is co-author, with David Annal, of Birth, Marriage, and Death Records: A Guide for Family Historians, Pen & Sword, 2012. And there you will learn everything you could possibly want to know on the subject, plus some more too.

Owl

grahamwilk

Yes thats Frances, and yes I do have the marriage cert

Graham.

Wilkes_ml

Sometimes there were ommisions/errors in the GRO indexes. Have you tried contacting the Local Register Office directly in case they have it? My great grandfather's birth was not register in the 1870s despite all his siblings born 10 years either side of him being registered. I have a copy of his own application for his own birth certificate, given date, place ofbirth and parents names, but neither the GRO or any of the local register offices could find his birth....some just got missed out unfortunately.

janbooth

The Frances WRIGHT whose birth is registered in 1857 and is in the 1861 census of Swaton looks to have died in 1863, aged 5, at Swaton according to the National Burial Index, so that would appear to definitely eliminate her.

Janet

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast