Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mareen Duvall

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Mareen Duvall

Hello,

I am trying to research Mareen Duvall who came to the Maryland Colony as an indentured servant from England around the 1650's. After he finished his seven years indenture to Colonel William Burgess, he later was able to acquire over 6000 acres of land in Prince Georges and Ann Arundle Counties of the Maryland Colony.

He is the son of Huguenot parents and a devout Royalist and founded the Jacobite Party of Colonial Maryland. I suspect he might have been involved in the English Civil War and ended up in Maryland because of his support of King Charles I or his Queen, Henrietta of France.

I just recently found a clue and was curious if anyone here might be able to point me to the right direction of a list of King Charles I and his queen's Royal Household/Entourage, etc from 1645-1649? Here's the clue:

House of Commons Journal Volume 3: 14 April 1643 Pages 43-45 Journal of the House of Commons: Volume 3, 1643-1644 (/commons-jrnl/vol3). Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1802:

Die Veneris, 14 Aprilis, 1643.PRAYERS.The Question being put, whether Monsieur Duvall and Monsieur D' Bailly, Two Servants to the Queen, with two Servants a-piece, and Six Horses, should have Mr. Speaker's Warrant to go to Yorke; It passed with the Negative

His first name has numerous spellings to include Marin, Maureen, Marine, Marrin, etc. Lastly, Duvall has also gone through various spellings too: Duval, DuVal, Dewalt, Devault, etc.

I'm also curious if there are lists of indentured servants or Royalist officers/public servants sent to the New World as punishment for supporting King Charles I?

I appreciate any assistance or leads you can provide.

Thanks,

Darwin

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Darwin

I have moved your post to the English Civil War forum as the Surname Interest forum is just for recording the surnames you are researching and is then locked.
    If it needs to be moved later it can be done.

I envy you being able to get back to the 1600's with your research, the advantage of having someone more notable than ag labs and house painters in your pedigree.

I am sure someone will be along soon to offer some hints and help.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

There is an awful lot of info out there on the 'net' about your man isn't there and some disagreement as to Mareen Duvall?
    What proof do you have he was actually indentured to William Burgess?

I will give this link so others can read a potted history of this man.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Thank you

Thank you Christina for both the warm welcome and putting me in the correct category.

Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Darwin

I have moved your post to the English Civil War forum as the Surname Interest forum is just for recording the surnames you are researching and is then locked.
    If it needs to be moved later it can be done.

I envy you being able to get back to the 1600's with your research, the advantage of having someone more notable than ag labs and house painters in your pedigree.

I am sure someone will be along soon to offer some hints and help.
    Christina

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Burgess

Hi Christina,

That information came from the President of the Mareen Duvall Society. I'm also a member. The link you provided is the Geni one (One of many sites with Mareen Duvall). So I go by what the society has and try to either confirm the data the society already has is correct, false or requires more research if questionable. Did Colonel William Burgess bring along Mareen because he was a gentlemen adventurer or Royalist prisoner?

Mareen must have spent a great deal of time in England or Scotland (He started the Jacobite Party of Maryland.) Surviving hand written documents (and I'm not an expert so I have to go with the society) and analysis of his handwriting by an expert stated he wrote his alphabet in the English rather than French style.

In my case, I enjoy hunting leads and searching records. Helps that I'm retired and enjoy travelling.

Darwin

There is an awful lot of info out there on the 'net' about your man isn't there and some disagreement as to Mareen Duvall?
    What proof do you have he was actually indentured to William Burgess?

I will give this link so others can read a potted history of this man.

Christina

Findmypast has a record set The Royal Household Staff 1526-1924 which has some Du Vall (and variants) persons but only starting at 1689 and none with a first name of Mareen or variants.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Mareen Duvall and Find my Past

Findmypast has a record set The Royal Household Staff 1526-1924 which has some Du Vall (and variants) persons but only starting at 1689 and none with a first name of Mareen or variants.

Christina
    Thank you for the lead Christina!!!

Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin Duvall View Post
    I am trying to research Mareen Duvall who came to the Maryland Colony as an indentured servant from England around the 1650's. After he finished his seven years indenture to Colonel William Burgess, he later was able to acquire over 6000 acres of land in Prince Georges and Ann Arundle Counties of the Maryland Colony.
    My family is rather Huguenot. Probably related as a have a few Duvall(s).

I will have to ask a relative about this indenture to Burgess, however, take what you find on the web with a grain of salt sometimes. Marin Duval / Mareen Duvall to my knowledge only had 1,200 - 1,500 acres not 6,000.

One of my forefathers - a British spy - apparently had the devil himself appear as a snake and hunt after his soul when he was hung by the Americans during the 1700s.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by GakuWolfe View Post
    My family is rather Huguenot. Probably related as a have a few Duvall(s).

I will have to ask a relative about this indenture to Burgess, however, take what you find on the web with a grain of salt sometimes. Marin Duval / Mareen Duvall to my knowledge only had 1,200 - 1,500 acres not 6,000.

One of my forefathers - a British spy - apparently had the devil himself appear as a snake and hunt after his soul when he was hung by the Americans during the 1700s.
    Thank you and I do appreciate any assistance or leads you can provide.

Darwin

PatMcCoy

I can keep a lookout as well. He's a distant relative and I went to school, in Maryland, with a couple of his descendants. There's also a high school, in Maryland, named after another descendant of Mareen Duvall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast