Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

In this ever changing data grabbing world the only thing that is constant is change. Whatever you decide now will be out of date in three years time. I still have the floppy disk with my father's first computerised tree on it from 1994. I also have the paper copies of the information.
    I have the trees in FTM(Family Tree Maker) because I was given the original as a Christmas present. In PDF on a stick, and printed on paper in every format the program allows. I have bits of trees on FMP and Ancestry and Genes reunited simply because I figure that if they all fail at the same time the world will be coming to an end and while that is happening I can be printing one more copy for the fireproof box.
    Oh and I have the backup on an external drive - forgot about that.
    Whatever we do it will be the printed on paper version that is the only one guaranteed to be readable in 30 years, and then only if you have used indian ink on acid free paper
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Kiltpin is correct. Anc made this announcement on 2 Feb 2016:

"Software MacKiev, with whom we have a long-standing relationship, is acquiring the Family Tree Maker software line as publisher for both Mac and Windows versions. Software MacKiev has been the developer of Family Tree Maker for Mac for more than six years and is thrilled at the opportunity to publish future versions of Family Tree Maker for Mac and Windows.
    This new agreement means you will receive software updates and new versions from Software MacKiev, and have the ability to purchase new versions of Family Tree Maker from Software MacKiev as they are released. You will have continued access to Ancestry Hints, Ancestry searches, and be able to save your tree on Ancestry with Family Tree Maker moving forward
    ."

Mind you, since I've never used the sync-to-online feature, I'm quite happily working with ver 2011 and plan to continue doing so. There's no obligation to accept every trivial update they brought out! (I'm also running ver 2005, the last one before Anc "improved" FTM as it has features I like that were lost during the "improvement".

Like Ann, I keep multiple backups in different formats and locations. Among my other incarnations, I look after a small archive that contains material ranging from the mid 19th century to the end of the 20th century. It's the low tech stuff that has survived best - glass negatives and paper written on with pencil. On the other hand, Access catalogues for some bits of the collection are probably going to have to be upgraded by hand. I've been carefully updating the electronic format from floppies to CDs to memory sticks and online storage, but it never occurred to me that MS would abandon backwards compatibility with Access. Yes, I've tried all the "helpful" hints on the MS website.
    The printout is working perfectly.

Yes, you are correct. They are working with a third party provider. However, some American genealogy sites and the Lisa Cooke podcast raised some serious questions about the new scheme. It may work out just fine, but well advised to be aware that once it is not directly tied, for example, to your Ancestry tree (the new scheme will not, I'm told, do those automatic updates) you will be finding some alternatives.
    And backup is fine, but as we live in an area where hurricanes or tornados are not unheard of it is imperative for us to back up to the cloud. Just mentioning this because of my own experience.
    C

Knowledgeable and helpful

The only tree I have online is on Genes (from when I had a subscription). I am still a registered member (no sub) and just use my tree as an easy, quick way of keeping track of my ancestors but most info I keep on paper. Trees on Genes are private unless you share your tree with someone - BUT once you share your tree with someone, there is nothing (apart from good manners I suppose) to stop them pasting any info/uploaded docs onto another site for everyone to see. This happened to me in the past - no real harm but for some reason, I was a bit ticked off at seeing it listed with my name attached. We probably all gather info wherever we can - I have photos of ancestors' family members in my private files thanks to someone else putting them online - but I kind of feel that since I copied them from someone else's tree, they aren't mine to put about without asking their permission first.
    On the subject of family tree software, I've never printed mine off (cos I don't know how and didn't really want it spread over numerous pages) but I have just drawn up Mum's side for her, by hand, on one A2 sheet. She's delighted with it and I'm glad I did it but I now understand, after spending hours working out the layout, to fit all family lines on in a way that connects up easily (and going through a whole pack of paper making up a copy with no tippex on it!) why people just print them off the PC.

Peter-Gabriel

Aha! I, too am in a quandary!
    I have an enormous amount of data on the net and would like to transfer my ancestry to a program that would be able to cope with the vagaries of my ancestry and demands!
    In short I would like to find a program that can use the Sosa Stradonitz method, understand other languages and titles of honour from different countries, be able to include coats of arms, give biogs on individuals. I would also like to be able to pick any individual and use this as an ancestor for a given branch or use it as the number 1 in an ascendance, or even see how this person is related to another on the database, or even show a tree with the relationship. There is one program that manages to do this, Geneweb, by Daniel de Rauglaudre, but it is not private! Can anyone help with this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12