Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    olliepolly

Default Which Family Tree Programme

Does anyone have their Family Tree on FamilySearch or MyHeritage if so would you recommend to do this? i keep thinking about putting it on there but am i right in thinking they end up public and anyone can view them? Not sure but i think you can put your tree on private on MyHeritage? but have no idea about FamilySearch not sure i want to put it out there for the whole world any thoughts?
    thanks

Starting to feel at home

You can make them private, you can also hide them from search indexes. I do this with my trees as I feel more comfortable doing that. Information on the living has to be hidden by law.

olliepolly

I get the impression on familysearch it may still be seen even if put on private?

Kiltpin

Quote Originally Posted by twigger View Post
    Information on the living has to be hidden by law.
    I don't want to argue, twigger, but I don't think that is right. If it was, how do newspapers get away with it every day of the week? We regularly read reports of local news giving a vast amount of detail -

The Pleasanton Under Mudd Daily Times & Advertiser
    From our reporter, Fred Scribbler -
    Johnny Scratchit (aged 10) of the new Shoddybuilt Estate was very pleased to win first prize in the Junior Chef competition at this year's village fete for his 'Shepherd's Pie'. "The secret is to use fresh shepherds - I caught mine last night", he said.
    Any local newspaper is full of this kind of information - in fact that is what the 'Classifieds' are for.

Regards

Kiltpin

olliepolly

I have just managed to find info on familysearch (wasn't easy) and it says all information on family tree about deceased is public but the living is private, I think I will stick with tree just on my pc, just thought it would be easy to get hints with the tree on familysearch but I don't like the idea of having it all on public even tho they are deceased, don't know why.... I will just stick to using family search ,which I think is great, for searching the way I have been.
    thanks

Laws change with the country involved, but in the UK anything in a computerized database comes under the Data Protection Act.

There's different laws for the newspapers (logic and the law don't seem to be bedfellows), and anyway the Classifieds are a voluntary matter - the people involved generally choose to provide the info. It's not a matter of a stranger half a world away making one's private info public.

Laws aside, it's not exactly good manners to decide that someone else has no right to privacy!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by twigger View Post
    You can make them private, you can also hide them from search indexes. I do this with my trees as I feel more comfortable doing that. Information on the living has to be hidden by law.
    Sorry but this is not accurate.
    Note the following explains the system in England & Wales.

There is a big difference between details of living persons held by companies and details of individuals held by private individauls.
    The Data Protection Act 1978 as amended controls the sharing of data held by companies (whether held on a computer or held in paper ledgers.

Private family trees are exempt for the data protection act and it is perfectly acceptable (as confirmed by the data commissioner (the person who polices the DPA) for an indiviual to publish details of individuals on their family tree.

It is actually illegal for the government to try to prevent individuals publishing details of living people under the Human Rights Act 1998 as amended.

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Laws aside, it's not exactly good manners to decide that someone else has no right to privacy!
    In the UK there is no such thing as a Privacy Law.
    The reason there is no Privacy Law is because it has been judged that Privacy cannot be defined in law therefore by default there can be no law to protect it.

Lawyers have defined privacy as everything from preventing the state from interfering with the affairs of individuals to preventing companies mentioning the name of an individual and such claims have been upheld.

The farical situation occurs under the last ruling that if it was upheld in every case companies such as a dentist practice would not be able to send a patient an appointment by post without breaching the privacy law.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

I notice that there's still discussion here mentioning FamilyTree Maker. I assume you all know that Ancestry is discontinuing this. So you will have to find another software for your tree. There are a number of good ones out there. WHATEVER you decide to do, I can't emphasize ENOUGH how important it is to back UP your files. There are a number of good sites for a reasonable cost that will back up everything automatically including videos, etc.to the cloud. I know for the thrifty this seems a bit much, but until you have lost both your primary material AND your back-up in a total catastrophe, you can't appreciate how smart this could be. As me how I know this.....

Kiltpin

Quote Originally Posted by fitzgerc View Post
    I notice that there's still discussion here mentioning FamilyTree Maker. I assume you all know that Ancestry is discontinuing this. So you will have to find another software for your tree. There are a number of good ones out there. WHATEVER you decide to do, I can't emphasize ENOUGH how important it is to back UP your files. There are a number of good sites for a reasonable cost that will back up everything automatically including videos, etc.to the cloud. I know for the thrifty this seems a bit much, but until you have lost both your primary material AND your back-up in a total catastrophe, you can't appreciate how smart this could be. As me how I know this.....
    I believe that you are in error, fitzgerc. The last communication I had from Ancestry was that they were working with a third party provider and that they (the third party) would be taking over the programming and updating and that it would work as seamlessly as it does now.

On the other hand, I do agree that back ups should be a part of our weekly routine. I do mine every Friday.

Regards

Kiltpin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast