Thread: Isle of Lewis

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Isle of Lewis

I have hit a brick wall researching the Macdonald family from Isle of Lewis.
    Murdo mac Dhughaill MacDonald born 1789 14 Eoropie died 1868 Eoropie Isle of Lewis
    Son of Dougal mac Chalum Macdonald born 1760 married to Catherine Campbell
    Son of Malcolm Macdonald born 1740
    Would appreciate any help.
    Thanks Elle

Hi Elle
    I have moved your post to the General Scottish Family History forum where it will receive more attention.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

And if you look at the top of this Forum HERE, you'll find a collection of guides for scottish genealogy.
    What sort of information are you looking for? I'd start with Murdo's death certificate, if you don't already have it.

Kiltpin

Quote Originally Posted by lnrmcdnld View Post
    Murdo mac Dhughaill MacDonald born 1789 14 Eoropie died 1868 Eoropie Isle of Lewis
    Thanks Elle
    Both my wife and I have people from the Highlands in our trees. I have found the best way, when dealing with a predominately English speaking readership is to translate all the names into English, in brackets, after the name as well as having them in the original Gaelic.

I don't mean to tell you your business, but spelling has always been an adventure rather than a science and the people writing things down might not have been hearing exactly what the man with the thick accent was saying.

Regards

Kiltpin

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default MacDonald Family of 14 Eoropie

Quote Originally Posted by lnrmcdnld View Post
    Thanks Elle
    Murdo married twice. First wife KirstyMorrison. They had 3 sons. Second wife Margaret Campbell. Their son Norman got the croft,which in turn passend to his son Donald (1859 to 1931). Donald and his wife Ann had 7 children the youngest Catherine was my grandmother. She died about 40 years ago. Perhaps we are related? Muriel from South Australia