Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Carpenter Family in South Bristol

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here has researched their families and come across any of the following names? They have all lived in South Bristol with teh possible exception of William Carpenter (1811)

I have mostly used ancestry and findmypast but have managed to get a little evidence elsewhere (genuki for example) the main issue is that I am very new to this and am not sure I'm getting the best from the tools at my disposal!

Anyway, as promised, my paternal male lineage as discovered so far starting with my Grandfather:

Clifford Sandford Carpenter (1925 - 1991) m.Sybil P Ward 1949
    Clifford Ernest Carpenter (1902 - 1977) m.Beatrice Seaward (year unknown) (started recording her maiden name as Sandford in 1926!)
    William Martin Carpenter (1877 - 1966) m.Ethel Maud Smith 1897
    William Martin Carpenter (1839 - ?) m.Mary Ann(e) Dyer (year unknown)
    William Carpenter (1811? - ?) I'm not sure if this is the correct person but this is where I've become stuck, possibly born in Frome.

I hope this proves useful, if more info is needed I have most of the Sibling details, not included her as there are a lot!!!

Many thanks in advance!

Pete

William Martin Carpenter (1839 - ?) m.Mary Ann(e) Dyer (year unknown)

Marriage
    William Martin Carpenter
    Widowed
    Age 30 B0rn c1839
    Marriage Date - 7 Nov 1869
    Marriage Place - St. Thomas, Bristol, Gloucester, England
    Father - Martin Carpenter
    Spouse - Mary Ann Dyer, Single
    FHL Film Number - 597027
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

There's a marriage registration for Clifford E Carpenter and Beatrice Seaward June quarter 1925 Bristol registration district.

Have you heard about FreeBMD and/or the GRO Index?
    And do you know how to order BMD certificates from the GRO Office?

If not, yell, and I'll tell you when I get back from shopping.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi christanel,

Thank you so much for this! I had found a reference to Martin Carpenter previously as the father of William Martin Carpenter. This certainly points me in a clearer direction. There were so many Carpenters in the south west of England back then and they all seem to have been called William, Martin or Mary!!

Thanks Pam I do use FreeBMD as a support to my usual searches on ancestry and findmypast

Beatrice is something of an enigma! In the 1911 Census she is listed as Beatrice Seaward (7 years old) a Boarder, along with Kate Sandford (30 Years old, widow). Beatrice recorded her maiden name as Seaward in 1925 when she gave birth to my Grandfather Clifford Sandford Carpenter, but then recorded her maiden name as Sandford a year later in 1926 when she gave birth to my great aunt Jean Mary Carpenter (married Genge)

I have mostly been focussing on the Carpenter side but this odd mystery fascinates me as I can't seem to find a record for Kate Sandford (though I haven't spent too much time on her yet)

Have you got Beatrice's birth certificate? If not, my guess is that she is the Beatrice Seward, registered March quarter 1904, Bristol registration district. (Found by inputting just a first name, years 1903-1905, and Gloucestershire into FreeBMD, and then looking for 'likely' ones.)

Don't assume that because Beatrice and Kate are both boarders in the same household in 1911 that they are connected, though the fact that Beatrice uses the surname of Sandford for the births of both of her children (i.e. not just Jean but also Clifford) would make it seem that there is a link. (What I think is) Beatrice's birth certificate should give a few clues.
    I could guess that Beatrice was illegitimate and that mother Kate then married someone called Sandford, but I can't find a Sandford/Sanford/Seward/Seaward marriage in England and Wales between 1896 and 1911.

Um, scrub that last sentence and try this theory instead.
    I was searching on FreeBMD for Kate's born 1880-1882 Bedminster registration district, and saw a surname that I recognised - Beer.
    Birth registration Kate Beer June quarter 1881.

Fast forward to the 1891 census.
    RG12/1947 folio 28 page 2, living in Bedminster.
    John Beer, 56, carpenter, Hartland North Devon
    Sarah, wife, 47, [??] Devon
    Alfred R, son, 16, carpenter, Monmouth Wales, (a remarkable likeness to the head of the household in 1911 methinks)
    Benjamin, son, 14, errand boy, Monmouth Wales
    Richard, son, 12, scholar, Bristol
    Kate, daur, 12, scholar, Bristol

Marriage registration December quarter 1901 a Kate Beer on the same page as an Ernest Sandford, Bristol registration district.
    Likeliest death registration for Ernest Sandford 1901-1911, is one in March quarter 1910, Long Ashton registration district; he's aged 33.
    New theory regarding Beatrice is that in 1911 she's a foster child either of Alfred or Kate; Kate brought her up, and so when she was older Beatrice used the Sandford surname instead.

Pam

Sorted.
    (The Kate Sandford bit at least.)

1901 census
    RG13/2360 folio 94 page 32
    John Beer, 64, carpenter, Devon
    Sarah, wife, 56, Devon
    Ernest Sanford (sic), boarder, single, 24, [mill hand?], Bridgewater Somerset

Pam

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

William b 1811 in Frome in 1891 census is unmarried and a retired cabinet maker,so it may be a brother of his you need.There is a baptism at St James in 1820 of William Martin Wilkinson Carpenter.Do you have census returns for the family?

thewideeyedowl

Default Bafhs

Hi and welcome...

You could get a lot of help from the Bristol and Avon Family History Society: https://www.bafhs.org.uk/.

The society is local to you. If you click on Members' Interests, enter 'Carpenter' and you will get several hits.

Swooping off.

Owl

This is fantastic stuff Pam, thank you so much! I need to get this all down on paper to get my head around how it all works :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast