Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Thanks Pam, I couldn't think of a good way to answer suggsy's question. so opted for the embarrassed smarta*se reply.

A good source for early transcripts of Parish Registers is archive.org. This will take you to a page with over a thousand early PR transcripts. Most stop at 1812 but some go to 1837 and a few, very few extend up to 1900.

However there is much, much more on the site. This Link will take you to their opening page. and it's all free to download.

Regards

Malcolm
    Last edited by macwil; 05-03-2016 at 3:05 AM. Reason: typo

Starting to feel at home

Thanks guys, I'm actually referring to burial records from 1964 in the UK, I have a death cert but no luck in the burial place anywhere near the place of death.

Edit: Sorry for hacking this thread.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by suggsy View Post
    Thanks guys, I'm actually referring to burial records from 1964 in the UK, I have a death cert but no luck in the burial place anywhere near the place of death.

Edit: Sorry for hacking this thread.
    Well you can go sit on the naughty step for that.
    And you can stay there a bit longer for only giving us half a story re the death certificate.

Did the deceased die local to where they lived? If not, where did they normally live, and where did they die?
    What sort of burial places have you looked for, e.g. cemeteries, crematoriums, churchyards?
    Have you looked at newspapers local to where the deceased lived and/or died for an obituary?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

As Pam says we can only provide meaningful help if we have all the details.

One possibility that Pam didn't mention is a 'family grave' which may not be located near to where the deceased lived or died. The obituary would probably mention this if it applies, also check for a will as this might contain preferences/instructions concerning funeral/burial.

Malcolm

Knowledgeable and helpful

If the deceased has a family they are normally buried near where they or the lived when alive or if their is a family plot in the family plot.
    If the deceased person has no family surviving they are normally buried (cremated) close to where they died.

Have you checked the FFHS National Burial Index?

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks everyone, it's something like the burial index Guy had mentioned I am after
    I'm referring to my other thread and didn't want to hack this one too much, which is why I only picked up on what was the best burial records website

The person's burial I'm looking for I have every other info except the burial place, I've checked local cemeteries/crematoriums etc to where he died, and also where the rest of the family died and buried.
    I've been searching for his burial place for over 20 years:

Charles Edwards:
    B: 3rd May 1896 in Poole, Dorset
    M: 1918 in Poole, Dorset
    Died:1964 in Herrison hospital, Charminster, Dorchester
    I've searched Herrison records, local cemeteries, funeral directors etc.

Thanks for all your help

Knowledgeable and helpful

What religious denomination was involved? I searched for a known Roman Catholic in similar circumstances, and eventually tried the local priest. He was extremely helpful, telling me where the burial was - in a since decommissioned C of E church very near the hospital where they died. This was definitely a case of local knowledge being needed. pwholt

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    What religious denomination was involved? I searched for a known Roman Catholic in similar circumstances, and eventually tried the local priest. He was extremely helpful, telling me where the burial was - in a since decommissioned C of E church very near the hospital where they died. This was definitely a case of local knowledge being needed. pwholt
    Thanks for the info, but I have spoken to local churches and the local ones where he died have no record o a burial, plus they stopped burials before he died.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

suggsy - you failed to answer one important question.
    Have you looked at newspapers local to where the deceased lived and/or died for an obituary?
    Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    suggsy - you failed to answer one important question.

Pam
    Sorry I forgot to answer this question, yes I've looked at newspapers etc, this one is definitely a mystery

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast