Thread: Air Force List

A fountain of knowledge

Default Air Force List

I have found my uncle's service number in AIR/78/18. However the record has MILITIA typed at the top. Can anyone explain what this means?

When I knew him in the 1950s he was a Navigator flying Canberras, having previously been on Wellingtons and possibly Lancasters.

Many thanks.

Malcolm

A fountain of knowledge

Default RAF Service Numbers

Just discovered this site for RAF Service Numbers

My uncle's service number was in batch 3050001 to 3054173 allocated in May 1943 to ATC Cadets Birmingham.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    Just discovered this site for RAF Service Numbers

My uncle's service number was in batch 3050001 to 3054173 allocated in May 1943 to ATC Cadets Birmingham.
    Info gleaned from another help forum in a post not started by me suggests that the MILITIA include in the AIR78 records probably relates to membership of the ATC prior to enlisting.

This is a link to that thread reply #7
    MODS: if this is not allowed please remove it

When was he born?
    Without a surname or number, it's not easy to help. I have the Retired List for 1992, was he still alive then?
    The NLS has 3 volumes of the Air Force List 1938-1945 HERE which you could consult.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    When was he born?
    Without a surname or number, it's not easy to help. I have the Retired List for 1992, was he still alive then?
    The NLS has 3 volumes of the Air Force List 1938-1945 HERE which you could consult.
    Hi Lesley,

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about those records.

I've tracked my uncle's service no. (It's on the computer I used whilst touring not this one hence the delay in replying)
    From AIR 78/18/5 image 277 it's the last record on the page

Ernest James Boraston b.12 Feb 1924 - d.22 Nov 2012

He left RAF sometime late 1950s/early '60s, he married in '64 and was a civilian for a few years before that.

Regards,
    Malcolm.

He's not in the Retired list that I have, but that only covers officers...

A fountain of knowledge

He was a Navigator prior to that he wore the Signals aircrew wing. I don't know if they classify as Officers.

I had a look through the lists on NLS but couldn't spot him in those I looked at from May '43 to the last in '45.

They were often Flight Sgts or Warrant Officers.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    They were often Flight Sgts or Warrant Officers.
    I have several photos of him in uniform but none of them give a clear view of his rank insignia. one shows just a hint of the top corner of stripes on one arm another has an aicrew insignia used between 1946 and 1950 but again not sufficiently clear for exact rank, the view is full frontal and insignia only partially visible side on. It looks more rounded than Aicrew II/III but doesn't appear to have the crown of Aircrew I (Flight Serg. equivalent) but is not positively identifiable as Master Aircrew (WO equivalent). Aaaahhhh!