Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Name change (Male)

I did find the name change/record of my father a few years ago but couldn't remember where it is.

The details are this:

Barry W.D. Edwards
    B. 26th March 1943 in Poole, Dorset.

M. 2nd January 1965, (To Delphine, Margaret Townsend).

My issue is this:

Barry is registered and shows in the year 1943, this part is correct so no problem.
    However, he says that before he got married he needed his birth certificate to be able to get married, so far no problem.

He says his mother must have gone to the register office and basically gave my father a certificate in the surname of 'Lyle'. Although his mother did marry a Mr John Lyle in 1946, my father at the time, and right up to 1962 was still known with the surname of 'Edwards'., this was his mother's birth surname and was not married when my father was born. (That's another long story).

However, my query is this that I have seen a record online of an entry for Barry Edwards, (Mother's last name of 'Edwards', no problem, but it did have a hand written amendment in pen, which was entered in 1962 as Barry Lyle.
    I would like to find out which online website I definitely saw this record, as he states to this day he knows nothing about the name change, but I said he must have as he was 19 years old and probably had to change it himself, for whatever reason, but he says no he didn't.

To this day, the John Lyle his mother married, (My grandfather who I personally knew for years but died in 2005), my father is not convinced he is his bilogical father, hence me starting the family tree search around 25 years ago and have found everything out regarding names in family tree except 2 thiings:

1: Was John Lyle my father's biological father (If not who was)?

2: The burial/resting place of Charles Edwards (My father's grandfather on his mother's side).

Phew, long story but these are the only 2 brick walls in my whole tree.

Thank you for reading

Hi
    On FreeBMD there is a birth registration for Barry W D Edwards in 1943 mmn Edwards and there is also a birth registration in Sept 1/4 1962 for a Barry W D Lyle. mother's maiden name Edwards.
    By clicking on the spectacles at the right hand side of the entry you can view the original typed GRO image but neither of them have a hand written explanation as to the name change.

In 1962 I think 21 was still the coming of age to adulthood so your Dad's mother would have been able to change his details, I think, without your father's knowledge. Why she chose to after such a long time is anyone's guess.
    DNA tests could help with finding out if John Lyle was your father's biological father I should think but would depend on having another male member of the Lyle family to test with. I know zilch on how DNA tests work.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Allan F Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    In 1962 I think 21 was still the coming of age to adulthood
    This is quite correct: as a consequence I did not get a chance to vote until after the 1966 General Election! The change from 21 to 18 as age of majority came somewhat later, though I don't remember exactly when

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Allan F Sparrow View Post
    The change from 21 to 18 as age of majority came somewhat later, though I don't remember exactly when
    The voting age was lowered to 18 and also the electoral register now consistently includes all those who were not 18 but would reach 18 during the period of the register so that they could then vote on elections held on or after their 18th birthday.
    For more info regarding Elections, dates codes etc. see:- https://www.electoralregisters.org.uk/timescales.htm

Name well known on Brit-Gen

If you look at the GRO site you will note that you can change the name of a child and it is re registered in the quarter the amendment takes place, as you have this from christanel #2. I would apply to the local registry office ( this being the primary source) for a copy of the certificate and any notes appertaining to it still held!

It is likely that the name was altered on the original certificate by your grandmother, particularly if she couldn't afford a fee for a further certificate!

https://www.gov.uk/correct-birth-reg...ns-can-be-made

Your father appears to have married under the name of LYLE:

Barry W Lyle
    Spouse Surname: Townsend
    Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1965
    Registration district: Poole Dorset
    Volume Number: 7c Page Number: 1777

Starting to feel at home

Thank you all for your replies and help.

Yes my father did marry with the name of Lyle in 1965 (I was born 1967) although I am not relevant to this query

Geneius, I now understand the age under 21 then the mother/parent could change the name of the 'child', this happened in 1962 as quoted above, when dad was about 19 years old.

It still makes me wonder why dad's mother didn't use the name Lyle straight from first registration, unless of course John Lyle was not the biological father, and only agreed to use his name when dad wanted to get married, hence obtaining the birth certificate in 1962.
    Incidentally, and again not really relevant to my query, but dad and mum had to go to court to get allowance to get married as mum was under 18 (Born November 1946), as her father refused to give permission.

1969 saw the age of consent lowered from 21yrs to 18yrs.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1969/46
    Alma

Reputation beyond repute

You need to obtain the birth certificates - or at least the second one.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    You need to obtain the birth certificates - or at least the second one.
    Yes I agree, I have both, and the first one from 1943 doesn't state the father's name, and the second one from 1962 states John Lyle

Thank you

Starting to feel at home

Of course, it might just simply be that when his mother went to register him in 1943, the father was away at war (Which I know he was), therefore could not be present and could not be named, hence leaving the father's name blank.
    Then when dad needed the certificate to get married it all came out and was then known to John that he was not named and therefore dad's mother went and changed it, assuming she may not have told John that he was not named in 1943.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast