Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    suggsy,

Just a thought. It may be useful to future researchers if you added 'Postem' notes to the two records on FreeBMD to cross reference them. You don't have to give a detailed explanation, just say he was a close relative to you whose name was changed and his birth re-registered..

Regards

Malcolm
    Good idea, thanks Malcolm.

Charles Edwards was my great grandfather on my father's side, and I'll definitely keep the notes idea in mind.
    Thank you

Name well known on Brit-Gen

You may find this article of interest https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age

Remember life was very different in the late 40's up until possibly mid 1960's. We can only speculate why Barry was registered EDWARDS and not LYLE, the only persons who know the answer are Barry's mother & John LYLE.

You could look for a WW2 record of John LYLE to check his activities during the 'crucial period'

I presume the relevant marriage certificates have married 'by licence' you need ot approach the local Registrar to see if the record is available

I for one cannot find my mothers divorce papers, she married a GI first in 1944 and my father 1948 both men died in 1999.....at the time there was a 7 year rule for separation....Herberts marriage act 1937 started the change.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    You may find this article of interest https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age

Remember life was very different in the late 40's up until possibly mid 1960's. We can only speculate why Barry was registered EDWARDS and not LYLE, the only persons who know the answer are Barry's mother & John LYLE.

You could look for a WW2 record of John LYLE to check his activities during the 'crucial period'

I presume the relevant marriage certificates have married 'by licence' you need ot approach the local Registrar to see if the record is available

I for one cannot find my mothers divorce papers, she married a GI first in 1944 and my father 1948 both men died in 1999.....at the time there was a 7 year rule for separation....Herberts marriage act 1937 started the change.
    Thank you, I will take a look at the link.
    Yes you are correct, only Gladys or John would have known.

The 'spin off' to my family research, is John's side of the family and his history, this is proven extremely difficult, much more so than Gladys Edwards side.

John Richard Lyle was born 1919 in Alberta, Canada.

Married Gladys Edwards in 1946 in Poole, Dorset.

He was in Canadian Mounty police, then enrolled in Canadian Army, was a passenger on Queen Mary ship, from New York full of American and Canadian troops to come to UK, then served alongside British Army in France in WW2 and was in Heavy artillery.

Other than, I have no information on him at all.

Sorry if this post needs to be moved to a different thread

Starting to feel at home

Update:
    I am now in possession of a death certificate that 'might' look promising.
    From 1964, in the Weymouth district, and did die in Herrison hospital.

I will try to chase up records from Herrison (If they have any) to try to confirm that it is him, so what I now need to know is the nearest/most likely burial place for him, knowing this Charles died actually in Herrison hospital, near Charminster

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    suggsy,

Just a thought. It may be useful to future researchers if you added 'Postem' notes to the two records on FreeBMD to cross reference them. You don't have to give a detailed explanation, just saystjeay the new he was a close relative to you whose name was changed and his birth re-registered..

Regards

Malcolm
    You will never believe this!

I now find myself having to do that.

I have discovered a relation who has three, yes 3, entries in the Birth Registers. 2 in 1932 and 1 in 1934.
    The first registration was in Q2 1932 to unmarried mother, she married in 1934 and the birth was re-registered in Q3 with the new name and an entry entered in Q1 1932 under the new name with ref between the two.

Talk about a small world!
    Regards,
    Malcolm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123