Starting to feel at home

Default Passenger lists to usa

Any advice anyone? I have relatives who went to live in America in 1905 (though returned later), I have found passenger information for florence deaville and her daughter mary but not for her husband Richmond. He could have gone under a different name as we think he deserted from the Boar war, however we have found Richmond, Florence and children on 1910 USA census. They returned to UK in 1912/1913 but I can't find their return on any passenger list, any suggestions would be really welcome
    Thanks
    Debbie

SueNSW

Hi Debbie - a possibility for the outward for him, might be a 22 year old Richmond - transcribed as Dongall on UK Outgoing Passenger List and Dougill on New York Passenger Arrivals who travelled on the Teutonic from Liverpool - 22 March 1905 (arriving 30 March)

The NY Arrival info transcribes his last place of residence in England as Lougton - but from the original could very well be Longton. His intended destination was also in Ohio - where the family are living in the 1910 census

Guess the slight difference in surname could be the result of a strong accent if it was given verbally and written down as heard - or maybe if he was worried about possible army desertion - used as something close enough to his original - but just slightly different???

See what you think........

Cheers Sue

Starting to feel at home

Wow Sue that's amazing, Dougill makes perfect sense that is his mother's maiden name. Thanks so much will have a look if I can get access
    Again many thanks
    Debbie

Starting to feel at home

Hi can anyone help? With help ftom Sue i have been able to locate a passenger list for my ancestor Richmond Deaville, who had travelled to new york as Richard Dougill and his wife and daughter travelled to new york later in 1905. However we know they returned to England around 1913 (possibly 1912) but I can't find any of them on any passenger lists from USAto England.
    Many thanks Debbie

SueNSW

Good luck Debbie - I guess the incoming passenger lists that are now online could well be lacking records that have gone missing over the last 100 or so years - explaining why they seem to be so hard to find.

Other vague possibility I guess is if they went back to England via a continental port - maybe due to a "special fare offer" or something similar - so they wouldn't be included on the UK incoming lists if they arrived back on a ferry from France, Holland, Germany perhaps

Wonder if there are departure lists from the US available anywhere?

Cheers Sue

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Sue you are probably right, will keep looking and will let you know if I get any info. Debbie