Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orphanages

Default Orphanages

Has anyone heard of the St. Joseph and St. Anne Orphanage? In the 1901 census I came across a possible grand-uncle who was listed as an inmate. The orphanage was in the County of Kent in the Town of Farnborough.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=41969.0

See last post on Page 1. Note - the info is 10 years.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Historical Directories on line

Kelly's Directory of Kent 1903 (part 1) -
    https://leicester.contentdm.oclc.org/...d/278590/rec/6

Tab down and click on "Page 493, 5 found"

Default Orphanages

What a wealth of information! Thanks so much for sending me the links! Very interesting reading. It's given me a whole new outlook on how life was back then.

When I found Joseph living at this orphanage on the 1901 census I wasn't sure I had the right family, so now I'll have to investigate a little more and see if his younger brother was also there. If I find him that's another little piece of the puzzle.

Diane

Reputation beyond repute

https://childrenshomes.org.uk/OrpingtonStJoseph/

You may have luck tracing records through the various Boards of Guardians who sent children to these institutions.

I'd noted the reference to preparing the boys for emigration to Canada and had spotted this in a 1901 paper

"BROMLEY - Police Court - At this Court, on Monday, before Coles Child, Esq, (Chairman), and a full Bench of Magistrates, a further batch of boys from St.Joseph's Orphanage, Orpington,were brought before the Bench as candidates for emigration to Canada, and having satisfied the Magistrates that they were willing and suitable subjects, the necessary orders were made".

An intimidating experience no doubt and difficult to imagine any of these lads piping up with "NOT willing"!!

Thanks to both of you for your helpful information. I did check the 1901 census again and found the two youngest boys, Joseph and Patrick listed at St. Joseph's Orphanage in Farnborough. John and Peter might have been there too, but would have left when they became 16, in between the 1891 and 1901 censuses. Before I get in touch with anyone about obtaining records I'd better send for birth records so I am more informed about accurate dates of birth.

lancaster.jim

Default Orphanages

Hi, Diane,

You are enquiring about St.Joseph's Orphanage for Boys in Orpington. At the time of interest it was run by the religious order, the Presentation Brothers, who would be responsible to the Diocese of Southwark for its operation. The diocesan body would have been the Southwark Rescue Society.

When society's attitudes towards the care of children in need changed around 50-60 years ago, the need for large children's homes disappeared and many were demolished. When they were cleared, old records often disappeared as there was still an element in the thinking that the children should be given a new start - and the old life put behind them. When around 1970 society became more aware that children who had been in care may have a psychological need to know their past, surviving records were gathered by the various authorities. In this case, it would have been the diocesan body, the Southwark Rescue Society. This eventually became part of the Cabrini Society, still within the Archdiocese (by this time). In recent years following changes in discrimination laws, the work of the Cabrini Society with regard to adoption, etc., has been transferred to the Diagrama Foundation. The surviving records are now with this non-denominational organisation, which can be contacted at

https://www.diagramafoundation.org.uk...ess-to-records.

It is unlikely that the Presentation Brothers now hold any records for these homes.

Hope this helps

Jim Lancaster (Bury, Lancs.)

Hi Jim

Thanks so much for the information you supplied. I read it over and then sent off an email to the Diagrama Foundation. I supplied as much information as I could, so now all I need to do is sit tight and see what they have to say when they (hopefully) reply.

Thanks again
    Diane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast