Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SARAH MALSBURY

southistle

It really is a puzzle. Could she be a stepdaughter of a Malsbury and adopted his name?

Starting to feel at home

Thanks, Janet, for your continuing information and suggestions. Yes, I had noticed that there is only one Census year in which Londonderry is mentioned, however, Ireland seems to be pretty constant, starting with a single "I" in the "Where born if Ireland, Scotland or Foreign Port" column of the 1841 Census.
    Again, your comments regarding the absence of any mention of the name Malsbury (and its variants) in Ireland during the relevant years bears out what the researcher at PRONI has reported. It adds to the mystery.
    In tandem with the suggestions regarding other Malsbury possibilities I am about to concentrate upon the six witnesses who attended the wedding. This may provide a birth town link (or may not).
    Again, many thanks for your interest and assistance ... John

Starting to feel at home

Thanks, southistle, I think this is certainly a possibility. Perhaps a Malsbury married an Irish widow, or a woman with child, or perhaps Irish Sarah was adopted another way. More possibilities. Thank you for sharing my journey ... although I am a bit lost at the moment ...
    Best wishes ... John

There was a military barrack at Weedon, about 19miles from Middleton Cheney, could be Sarah's father had been stationed there if he was in the military.........just a thought.

https://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...on/index.shtml
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Great thought, Alma, many thanks. The Military line makes a good deal of sense. I am greatly indebted to you, and to everyone who has offered advice and really opened my mind to many previously unconsidered options. Lots of leads for me to follow up.
    Best wishes ... John

janbooth

Don't know whether this will prove of any use, but there is a notice in Northampton Mercury dated 27 August 1808 to the effect that Mr MALSBURY, Baker & Maltster of Eydon, married Miss FOLWELL of Pattishall at Pattishall on Thursday last. Looking at the Northamptonshire Marriage Index this refers to the marriage on 25 August 1808 of Thomas MALSBURY, widower, of Eydon, to Elizabeth Birch FOLWELL.

However, on further investigation I don't think this marriage is relevant to you, as this couple only appear to have had a son according to the PCC Will (available to read on Ancestry) of a William MALSBURY snr of Sulgrave, Yeoman, dated 27 July 1827. It would appear from this Will that most of the MALSBURYs I have found so far are his children, i.e. the Thomas above who is deceased by 1827 and his son Mark Folwell MALSBURY, Richard also deceased and his children unnamed, Joseph of Bloxham Oxfordshire Yeoman, John of Tysoe Warwickshire Yeoman, William, again deceased, who has one son William and daughters unnamed, James & his late wife Hannah plus children unnamed and daughter Ann married to a James COLE who has only 1 child a daughter Ann.

Whether the information contained in this Will could give you some leads to your Sarah is debatable but might be worth bearing in mind.

Janet

Dundee10

Some random finds which may be related to each other.

The subscription sites have indexed a marriage in 1813 between William MALSBRY and Elizabeth GOTHER, Diocese of Cork & Ross, County Cork, Ireland (Ireland Diocesan and Prerogative Marriage Licence Bonds indexes 1623-1866)

Lancashire OPC have a baptism in December 1817 at Liverpool for a William MALSBURY, son of William and Elizabeth. Father William is a soldier in the 83rd Regiment.

https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

1851 census has a William MALSBURY, aged 36, born Liverpool, occupation Bugler. His wife is Alice aged 24, born Ireland, and they are living at the Fulwood Barracks in Preston, Lancashire.

There is a death in London in 1860 for an Alice MALSBURY.

There is a marriage in March 1861 at St Mary’s Newington, Surrey for a William MALSBURY, of Cole Street, full age, Widower, Musician, father William MALSBURY was a Soldier.

The bride was Ann CHAINEY, full age, Cole Street, Spinster, father John CHAINEY was a Coachman.

1861 census has William MALSBURY, aged 44, born at St Mary’s, Liverpool, Sergeant Kent Artillery Militia, Chelsea Pensioner. His wife is Ann, aged 39, born Cranbrook, Kent. They are at Hougham, Dover, Kent, and the ‘House’ column has Kent Artillery Militia Stores.

In 1851 Ann CHAINEY was a servant for a Solicitor in Ramsgate and she was aged 28, born in Cranbrook, Kent, so her details do match the Ann in 1861.

Ann MALSBURY died in 1868 at St Bartholomew’s Hospital, London. She was a Widow and administration of her estate was granted to her sister Ellen CHAINEY of Portsea.

Findmypast has regimental records for the younger William.

Starting to feel at home

My continuing thanks, Janet. I agree, I am not sure about this particular Malsbury and am still pursuing the "Malsbury - Irish widow with child" theme, but feel that this may not be the answer. The post from Dundee 10 has revitalised my earlier thought that Sarah may have been born in Ireland whilst her soldier father was serving there. I will re-contact PRONI with this new information. Meanwhile, I intend to follow up all suggestions.
    Best wishes ... John

Starting to feel at home

Thank you, Dundee 10, for the information regarding William MALSBRY, soldier. When I first started asking questions of myself regarding the background of Sarah Malsbury a Military connection was high on my list, however, when PRONI could locate no information to support this (albeit from a few scant and narrow Londonderry focused thoughts provided by me) I let it drift and pursued other options.
    Your information is most welcome and I will pursue it to the fullest. The suggestion by almach, in an earlier post, regarding a Military barracks at Weedon may also provide a link. I will look into the movements of the 83rd Regiment during the relevant period and access the records of the younger William as you suggested.
    Thank you again for your great assistance - all lines of thought are still open but a revitalised interest in the Military option is beckoning.
    Best wishes ... John

Dundee10

You are looking for a baptism in Ireland c1816 - do you know what the survival rate is for Londonderry registers? It may well be that you are looking for something that was lost in 1922.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast