Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illegitimacy

Starting to feel at home

Default Illegitimacy

I believe my auntie Rita Victoria May Smith born in abt 1907
    She was baptised on the 4 th August 1907 In great Bedwin, Wiltshire, England, by my Grand Mother Effie Kate and her husband William Henry Smith and given the name of Smith.
    The story we were always told was that my grand mother worked in a house as a maid, where the child was born and she took the child into her care.
    I cannot find an actual birth record/date for my auntie Rita Victoria May Smith
    Can any body help
    Heather

Loves to help with queries

Hi Heather,

There are a few Victoria May's born in Wiltshire in the two or three years prior to 1907. Perhaps Rita was added to her name as well as Smith. Was your auntie known to the family as Rita or one of her other names? Did she marry? If so, do you have any details from that record about who her real parents were?

Growing old Disgracefully

What was Effie Kate maiden name maybe we could find out where she was working.

thewideeyedowl

I suggest you find out where in Wiltshire Gran was working - the exact location - and who owned the place/lived there. That could give you a few more clues to work on. (Names!) Also, run a forum search for 'Kappey' - a thread that could be relevant for research purposes. (We discovered a divorce, an affair, an illegitimate baby, and a kind -hearted "child nurse maid" - can't remember the exact term used.)

Owl

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Heather

Although I think you already know ( if I am correct!) that Effie Kate was the Effie Kate Herbert who married William Smith , Portsmouth reg dist 1906, others may find it helpful. Effie was born Overton Wilts and was in Gt Bedwyn in 1901as Effie Gee , Gee being her step father's name.

If Rita was born around 1907 , it may not necessarily have been in Gt Bedwyn - Effie and William may have been in Wiltshire, Hampshire or elsewhere.

Do you have the family in 1911? I can't find them anywhere so far - but it could help pinpoint Rita's birthplace.

Have you seen the actual image of the baptism record, or only the transcription? It would be worth checking that no additional information is there.

Famous for offering help & advice

I wonder - have you checked out the Victoria May Gee b Faringdon reg dist June Q 1906? I haven't yet found her elsewhere. Thinking she could be a child of Effie's younger sister Elsie.... Possibly worth finding even if only to eliminate.

Though on reflection she woul only have been 14 years old in 1906, so maybe not her. Was thinking she was 19 in 1901, not 9!

Reputation beyond repute

Have you seen the actual image of the baptism record?
    Good question!

Also whom did she marry? What were her children's names? When did she die? These are all relevant questions and the answers can be valuable.

Starting to feel at home

Hi essbee,
    She was always known as Rita, she did marry, I will investigate further. She married an Albert Victor Howes.
    Thankyou.

Starting to feel at home

Hi,
    It was Effie Kate Herbert.

Starting to feel at home

Thankyou for this I will run the search as you suggest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast