Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Allan F Sparrow

Sorry to see that nobody has tackled these Joneses while I was away over Easter! I haven't finished with the Rowlands, side, yet...

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks Allan - For now just to say I have had some input which I haven't had a chance to add to this thread ie follow
    through on Adelaide's children which is a brilliant help.
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

Further to my posting No. 49 I have received wonderful input from a member, as below.
    Any further input/information very welcome, as always - especially descendants!

ADELAIDE ROWLANDS 1844-1912 married HENRY REES JONES

“Adalaid” Rowlands married Henry Rees Jones in 1871 [Q3 Pontypridd]
    Adelaide died in 1912 [Q2 Pontypridd] aged 67

They had FIVE children: NB JONES

1) THOMAS born 1872 died age 15 1887.

2) WILLIAM HENRY born 1874

3) ANNE born 1876

4) CATHERINE born 1879

5) ADELAIDE born 1883 Married but NO CHILDREN
    Adelaide Jones married David Moore in 1932. David Moore was a bricklayer from Gillingham, Kent, date of birth 31 Oct 1878. In 1911 he lodged at 30 High Street, Tonyrefail. In 1939 Adelaide and David lived at 32 Collenna Road,

2) WILLIAM HENRY born 1874 (still alive in 1954?)
    William Henry Jones married Hannah Mary Jenkins in 1900.
    CHILDREN: NB SURNAME JONES

​a) ​Thomas Rhys ​ ​1901​-1954​

​b) ​Trevor Ewart ​ ​ 190​2-1965​ Trevor Ewart Jones married Eleanor Jones in 1928, Kensington. He died 1 Jun 1965. In 1939 he was a bricklayer.
    ​ ​From the 1950's he lived in Burnt Oak Broadway.

​c) ​William Henry​ ​ c1905

​d) ​Gwyrfyl Lynn ​ 1908​ ​Gwerfyl Lynn Jones married Matilda Jenkins in 1933. He died 31 Jan 1960, residence 20 Colenna Road.
    ​ They had a son Elwyn ​​Parry Jones, born 1933, who was a school teacher.
    ​e) ​Edward Rowland ​ ​1910
    In 1911 they lived at 20​ ​Collenna Road.

(Burial records have a Cyrus Morgan Jones buried with Adelaide Jones and Adelaide Moore) Since Cyrus Morgan Jones born 21 Jan 1919 is registered with mother's maiden name Jenkins, it is thought he is the son of William and Henry.

​The ​ boys ​ex Edward ​attended Tonyrefail Infants School. Thomas went onto Porth County School.
    Gwerfyl joined the school on 6 Jan 1913 but was excluded on 10 Jun 1913. Several others were excluded at the same time. He was readmitted in October.

with thanks
    Jill

Further to my posting No. 49 I have received wonderful input from a member, as below.
    Any further input/information very welcome, as always - especially descendants!
    Jill, it appears someone is sending you info 'off the forum', for this reason I cannot see the point in me trying to help. Any time I invest may be futile as I will not know if you've received the same info via email or pm, potentially I could be wasting my efforts, time which could be used to help another member. Sorry Jill and I hope you can see my reasons for not inputting further.

Good luck with your research into the Jones and Rowlands.
    Alma

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks ALMACH Of course I understand what you are saying - guess I really meant to say, which in fact I did,
    hoping to hear from descendants! (Dare I say any newspaper articles welcome!)
    Jill

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Ancestors of the Rowlands Families

I have done a fair amount of work on the ancestry of these Rowlands families before they came to Dinas and Tonyrefail. It is a surname in my wife's family history, and she comes originally from Penygraig in the Rhondda Valley. The family story is that 3 brothers came over the mountains from Caio and settled in Dinas to help in the first coalmines sunk in that part of the Rhondda Valley by Walter Coffin.

This is borne out so far by the evidence I have collected. My principal interest in a Moses Rowlands who is supposed to have been born in Caio around 1790; definitely is described as from Penderyn when he married at Ystradfellte in 1815, and probably died early in 1837. He was a schoolmaster in the first school attached to the coalmines at Dinas. Unfortunately the complete loss of the Chapel Records of this first chapel in that part of the Rhondda, plus total demolition of the accompanying chapel graveyard and headstones, makes further research pretty difficult. Research, in practice, is around the parishes of Caio, Myddfai and Llanddeusant in North Carmarthenshire, with some extension now into Llandovery. I have purchased a fair number of early BMD certificates and am happy to discuss further.

As the families were probably Calvinistic Methodists on their arrival at Dinas, again the surviving chapel records at the above places do not go back as far as would be required in most cases, even though it is known they were founded earlier than records survive.

Brian P. Swann

A fountain of knowledge

Dear Brian

What a lovely surprise to hear from you and thanks so much for contacting me!
    It's some time since I did work on this side of the family so had to refresh my memory by skimming
    though my posting!

Yes you are correct, three brothers from Caio - and in fact two sisters as well! I am descended from Thomas
    but note you are descended from his brother Moses. As no doubt you realise the names are repeated so often
    I have found it incredibly confusing and particularly the Moses side. I haven't in fact worked on that line too much
    but when I started work on my Father's side approx five years ago I did receive info for Moses from his side.

If you send me a pm (private message) with your email I can send you what I have but it will take me
    a few days to sort myself out!

I note you say your wife comes from Penygraig where various relatives were. How does she connect
    to the family ie was she a Rowland/s?The family were mainly from Tonyrefail but wonder if she knew of
    an Evan John Rowland who married Sarah Lewis, they ended up living in Penygraig. He died 1929 and she
    then moved away but still in the area.

I look forward to hearing from you
    with thanks
    Jill

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default ROWLAND/s (JONES) GLAMORGAN

Dear Gilian

I can be reached by email at bpsATnorvic8DOTforce9.co.uk

My wife's connection with this family is fairly tenuous, as it arises from a daughter of Moses Rowlands. We fit in as follows:

Eirwen Reynolds Morgan (b. 1945)>Tudor Reynolds Morgan (1898-1978)>Rebecca Reynolds (1873-1953)>Ann Martin (1848-1906)>John Martin (1822-1908) m Mary Rowlands (1825-1881)>Moses Rowlands.

However, her father could remember all this, or had abstracted it from a book on the origins of coal mining in the Rhondda, and I got him to write all this down in about 1976 before he died. So when we are in touch I will send that, along with my current write-up on this family.

We travelled via Myddfai and Llanddeusant parishes a week ago last Friday and called at both on a lovely sunny, cloudless day - enough to make you wonder why the three brothers bothered to cross the Black Mountains and come down to Dinas or elsewhere in the Valleys.

Best regards

Brian
    Last edited by christanel; 16-05-2018 at 9:18 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Rowlands

I just came across this thread on google, thought you may be interested in this newspaper article. It is the Obituary of Rowland Rowlands... "He was on the male side of the family of the same family as Daniel Rowlands Llangeitho...." https://newspapers.library.wales/view...56/3243058/31/
    I'm searching for another Rowland Rowland coal miner, checked out this family just in case- coincidence while reading the article "the late Mr Walter Coffin acted for the sake of his old friend their father,
    as a guardian and his shield was always over them".
    The Rowland family I researching a sister Margaret Rowland appears to be Walter coffins Servant in 1851 Census!!!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for this - I do have this newspaper article, as it is my wife's family - she comes from Penygraig. Can you send the details of the 1851 Census entry (especially age and HO reference). It is quite likely that if she was a servant to Walter Coffin, then she was related to this family, as you live in Australia. I do not as yet have her in the 1851 Census. She was the daughter of a Rees Rowland, who was an uncle to the Rowland Rowlands in the 1894 newspaper article.

I wondered if it could be this lady: MARGARET ROWLAND, born 1827 at -------. She was living with her father and step-mother in the 1841 Census, aged 14, not born in Glamorganshire [HO 107/1420/15/7]. Margaret Rowland married Rees Morgan (1838-1879) in 1852, possibly in Australia. They were the parents of Rees R. Morgan (1865-1948); Gwenllian Morgan (1862) and John Morgan (1866-1935).

Any more, and we probably need to exchange emails and background data we are working off.

I have just listed out all Rowland entries for the Archdeaconrys of St. Davids, Brecon and Llandaff, 1700-1858 - and am now faced with the time-consuming task of putting the parishes to them. There are several Rowland Rowlands amongst this listing. My wife's Rowlands family go back to Myddfai (Mothvey) and Llanddeusant in Carmarthenshire and allegedly to Caio. This is still some distance for Daniel Rowlands and Llangeitho in Cardiganshire - but there is evidence he travelled around from there to some local Chapels in north Carmarthenshire.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast