p.mca

Default Harriet Burt nee Cude, Tiverton

My 3rd G Grandfather John Burt married Harriet Cude in Tiverton;

> Groom's Surname: Burt Groom's Forename: John Bride's Surname: Cude Bride's Forename: Harriet Year: 1835 Month: Jun Day: 23 Parish: Tiverton Town Or City: County: Devon Record source: Devon Marriages Data provider: Devon Family History Society

I have followed them through the census returns to 1871 with their family. In 1881 Harriet is living with her daughter Charlotte and is a widower. I have not found a death for John Burt between 1871 and 1881. Harriet seems to be gone from census in 1891. There is a death for a Harriet Burt in 1883 in Tiverton, which I had presumed was her. There don't seem any other likely deaths for a Harriet Burt

I contacted Tiverton cemetery to see if they had a record of her death- they do, in 1883. The headstone (if there was one) has been relocated to the wall of the old cemetery. The spanner in the proverbial is that there is also a burial in the same grave of a John Warren in 1866. Census in 1861 shows a John Warren living with his wife Harriet...

I can't see a marriage for a Harriet Warren to a Mr Burt between 1866 and 1883.

I can't really make sense of this - any thoughts welcome! If I got the death certificate for Harriet d 1883 I guess that would sort it out, any other way to do so? If any kind soul is visiting the Tiverton cemetery and could see a headstone for Harriet Burt, there may be information there that would help.

Brick wall demolition expert!

The 1883 death that you have found fits, because the person was 72 years old, and Harriet was born about 1812. Also if you search for Harriet Burt in Tiverton without any age there are only 3 possible deaths: one in 1845, one in 1883 and one in 1879 for a Mary Harriet.

If you then search for marriages for a Harriet Burt in Tiverton, again there are only 2: one in 1842 and one in 1855. So she did not remarry, at least in Tiverton.

Looking for deaths of John Burt, there is a possibility between 1871 and 1881 and that is in 1876, although his given age would imply a birth year around 1822. However, that could be an error on the part of the informant, or a transcription error by the registrar putting down 56 instead of 66. I think that it is worth a gamble to get that death certificate: Dec quarter 1876 Vol 5B page 281.

The Western Times, 19 Oct 1876, reported the fatal accident of a John Burt " ... mason's labourer ... about 60 years of age ... leaves a widow and four children".

Does this "fit" with what you know of "your" John Burt?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

John's occupation on the '71 Census matches the newspaper report exactly!!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

janbooth

There is a report in the Western Times dated 19 October 1876 on the death of a John BURT, Mason's Labourer, about 60 years of age, to the effect that he died yesterday in an accident whilst working in a sandpit on the Knighthayes Estate through a large quantity of sand falling on him. He left a widow and four children. Also a rider to this article, that his brother met his death several years ago through suffocation whilst working in a pump pit at the Old Brewery.

This fits in very well with the 1871 census wherein your John BURT was described as a Mason's Labourer and his dob does seem to vary in each census record from 1817 in the 1851 to 1811 in the 1871.

Janet

snap Helachau, we cross-posted!
    Last edited by janbooth; 19-02-2016 at 10:16 AM. Reason: extra text

Knowledgeable and helpful

Knightshayes estate is now part of the National Trust. You might see pictures if you check their online material. pwholt

p.mca

Have downloaded the report. What a horrible way to die, though it must have been quick.

p.mca

Thanks to all for the help, this site rocks.
    Can anyone advise if it is unusual for Harriet to be buried in a grave that had an earlier burial in 1866 as noted in my original question? It is presumably coincidence that John Warren who was the earlier burial also had a wife called Harriet...

Brick wall demolition expert!

It might have been a question of money. Maybe his widow knew the Warren family and they offered her an "empty" slot for a reduced price.