Starting to feel at home

Default Looking for help dating photograph

I received an email copy of a photograph of my Great Grand Aunt (front right) who was born in 1881 and two of her siblings. I don't have any further information on the photograph as to whether there's anything on the rear or not. It appears not to have been taken professionally, as it looks like it was taken on the back step of a house with what looks like the coal bunker beside them. I'm wondering if someone might be able to give an approximate date based on the clothing. The date may help to pinpoint who the two siblings are as I have deaths in 1906, 1909 & 1916 of various siblings. My great grand aunt was a dressmaker, so quite possibly made the dresses in the picture.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gerald.
    Canada

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Do your Gt Grand Aunts have names which may assist us in looking at the census and area?

Starting to feel at home

The woman on the front right is Mabel Bessie Peskett born in Marylebone in 1881. The man may be Albert Charles Peskett and the other woman Annie Maria Peskett. Annie died in 1906, Albert in 1909. If it's after that date then it may be one of the older siblings. I have all the census information and BMD's. I'm just hoping someone might have some knowledge of women's fashion around the turn of the century that might be able to give me an idea as to when this might have been taken.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Maybe this site will assist!

https://www.fashion-era.com/la_belle_...n.htm#Paletots, Casaques And Mantelets

Ask whoever sent you the phto whether there's a photographer's stamp on the back of the picture. They can often be traced and used to pin a photo to at least the decade.

Remember that fashion changed more slowly outside the big cities.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Gerald, the clothes date somewhere between 1900 and 1910. By 1914 big hair was out and women were wearing a less dressed/formal style. Standup collars went out in 1912, and big hats were in during the Edwardian period. Skirts were plain and bodices fancy. That probably doesn't narrow it down a great deal, but I would focus on the hats, and compare them with styles from the 1910s.