KeeFran

Default Usher family of Wiltshire

Having run into a brickwall with William Usher (1789-1826), I decided to reverse research. Looked up all Ushers in Wiltshire from 1500. Interesting results:

many Ushers located in Westbury from 1500. Seem to have spread out during 1600's (or may have been earlier, with records not reflecting it). By 1700, Melksham, Trowbridge, Steeple Ashton were home to Ushers. Only a few miles apart.

Recently I tried another search for my William. Bingo! A new record set on Ancestry.com revealed my poor William and wife Hannah applied for/received/cancelled a removal order (1825) to West Ashton, just near steeple ashton. In the 1841 census one older William Usher aged 78 was present at the Biss Farm in West Ashton. My William parent? Don't know, still trying to confirm. This latest breakthrough was 3 years in waiting.

Would be delighted to hear from anyone researching Ushers in Wiltshire

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Is it the baptism of William b 1789 you are seeking?Have you checked Wiltshire OPC,Freereg or familysearch?Where was William buried?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Be very aware that the USHER family are often non-conformists, and as such will not appear in Church of England (parish) registers except in specific items such as removal orders and wills. If they were Baptists, any records are likely to be those of adult baptisms rather than of infants, because of the tennents of their faith. I know of at least one family which belonged to the Independents, now United Reformed Church. Records in RG4 (TNA or a certain subscription website) cover records which were deposited after 1837, but not all were. Do check which towns & villages are included. pwholt
    Last edited by pwholt; 17-02-2016 at 9:12 AM. Reason: omission