Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Private Peter Flynn

Hi

I am trying to locate any Military records about my great great grandfather Private P Flynn. He was born in Dublin around 1858-1864 and initially joined the Royal Sussex regiment around 1880. He fought in Egypt and Sudan with the Sussex regiment. He also fought in South Africa (Boer war) with the Royal Welch Fusiliers. It appears he had many different service numbers? was this common practice? He again enlisted in 1914 into the 6th Bat Royal welch (which was a reserve battalion) and apparently lied about his age to rejoin. He would of been around 55 and on his Attestation he states he was 45 :-) maybe they had a upper age limit?

I'm hoping to find any information about his service in the army. As a ex serving member of the armed forces (RHG/D) I would love to know what he experienced in the campaigns he fought in.

Service numbers I have are

1889 P Flynn royal Welch 1st Bat 6112 on his records it states he served 1st bat Royal Sussex in Egypt
    1914 P Flynn Royal welch 6th Bat (20428 or 3193 and on another document 6451) all the documents have his wife as his next of kin J A Flynn.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Mike

Welcome to the British-genealogy forums Mike

If you came to us from Forces War records reading This will tell you a little about us and what we do.

You are very lucky that the pension/service record for Peter Flynn survived as more than 60% of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing fire in WW11. So what you have is all you are going to get unfortunately.
    What you can do to get a general idea of where he served is to read the War Diaries on The National Archives site.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...ies-1914-1922/

However I did read on his WW1 attestation papers that he was discharged as not being likely to become an efficient soldier. They may have discovered his correct age! On this record he says he is just over 43 years old so making him born 1871!
    This probably accounts for the fact I can't find a Medal Roll Index Card record for him.

There is also mention of being appointed to 3/BWF for general service and in the margin 'Special Reserve."

The Long Long trail helps with an explanation of the Special Reserve
    https://www.1914-1918.net/reserve.htm

Other's will be along with more information I'm sure.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

1889 P Flynn royal Welch 1st Bat 6112
    I can see a Patrick Flynn 6112 Royal Welsh Fusiliers!

You'll stand the best chance of getting a helpful reply if you tell us exactly what records you’ve found. I mean which series. This is more important than the content.

Pension records 1914-1920 and service records 1914-1920

Also I found his discharge paperwork from 1916

Now not to confuse anyone
    His son also served in 1914-1918 his name is also P Flynn, Thankfully he used his middle initial (P T Flynn) His army number was 68749 and the RWF museum had a lot of information about him/places served. I also have his campaign medals given to me by my father
    Last edited by taylor8212; 07-02-2016 at 12:01 PM. Reason: error

Reputation beyond repute

Pension records 1914-1920 and service records 1914-1920
    I can see a record in WO364 (which I think is what Christina found) but I can't see anything in WO363

He also fought in South Africa (Boer war) with the Royal Welch Fusiliers
    I can't spot anything to back that up. Where did you find it?

WO364 says previous service in 1st Royal Sussex and 4th battalion RWF (militia). That's unlikely to have taken him to South Africa.

Reputation beyond repute

I think there's a record for him (Royal Sussex Regt) in series WO97 available on Findmypast. I think it's the same man. FMP has just kicked me out and the record has disappeared from my screen. You had better have a look.

Aaargh... I had another go and FMP served me up a different record. I think I'll go for some lunch. Your man seems to have quite a colourful history.

on page 2 no 6 of WO364 it says he was awarded the Egypt medal and star. Also awarded the Kings and queens south Africa medal

Reputation beyond repute

I'm not confident that I'm looking at the same thing as you.

In WO100 (campaign medal rolls), the only P Flynn in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers receiving a SA medal seems to be P Flynn 6112. From the WW1 medal roll index cards, this appears to be Patrick Flynn who was killed in action in 1914.

Reputation beyond repute

Mike

Buy a few credits on Findmypast and have a look at their collection of service records. Search for Peter Flynn born 1858 (there are two records) and tell us what you think.

That certainly looks like him and its the correct regiment and time. It says he discharged in 1885? this would make sense as he married in Carnarvon in 1889. His profession on both the 1901/1911 Census is Stone mason also

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast