soden55

Default Missing stonecrackers

Hello,
    I'm looking for any information please on the Cunneen family who were stone crackers in Guernsey in the 1861 and 1871 census and then they left and I haven't found a trace except for 1 member.
    In 1861 in The Vale, Guernsey, (RG 9 / 4378) there is John Cunneen (Head) 35 a stone cracker and his wife Mary 26 both born Ireland and children Catherine 6, Thomas 3 and Michael 1 year all born in Guernsey.
    In 1871 still John 46, Mary 36, Catherine (Kate) 16, then Thomas 12 and Michael 10 now also stone breakers and also Daniel 8, Margaret 3 and Timothy aged 8 months.
    Catherine Ryan nee Cunneen then turns up in 1876 in New Zealand married to John Ryan also born in Ireland, and on her children's birth certificates states she was married in Guernsey in Feb 1872.
    The rest of the family do not appear in the New Zealand records, and although there are Cunneens in UK, USA and Australia, there are none that are a close match.
    Also where do you find the BDM's for Guernsey ? Anything online ?
    Other stone crackers families also seem to have left, did a quarry close or something else happen on the island around that time ?
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thank you

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by soden55 View Post
    Hello,
    Also where do you find the BDM's for Guernsey ? Anything online ?
    Other stone crackers families also seem to have left, did a quarry close or something else happen on the island around that time ?
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thank you
    FamilySearch has Channel Islands births and baptisms 1820-1907 but no Cunneens.

This is the Genuki page for the Guernsey.
    https://chi.genuki.weald.org.uk/gsy/start

I would suggest that you click on Civil registration, church records, and then societies. When you get to 'societies' click on the Family History Section of La Société Guernesiaise because I think they might be the people best placed to help you, especially as to why stonecrackers seem to have left the island. (Do make sure that you scroll to the bottom of the page. )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Name well known on Brit-Gen

An old post BUT contact may still be the same, however a couple of names to add to your tree?

https://boards.ancestry.co.uk/localit...al/259/mb.ashx