Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking for Daniel Wallace Gaston

Hi,
    Am trying to help a friend find her paternal grandfather Daniel Wallace Gaston, who the family know nothing of other than he was born in Scotland. He married in the March quarter of 1928 in Middlesbrough's to Mary Wallace, and had Wallace Gaston in May 1928, all now deceased.

The family story goes that he "disappeared in about 1930!?"

He seems to be an enigma, I tried looking at Scottish records, and there seems to be a birth of the same named person between 1880 and 1910, but without subscription, van not access the records. Is there any other way of finding this out?

Thanks

janbooth

Could it be because he died? There is a death registration in March 1930 at South Manchester reg district of a Daniel W GASTON, aged 21 - perhaps a possibility?

Janet

janbooth

Another possibility could be an Irish connection. Ancestry have two Irish birth registrations, one in September qtr 1907 at Ballymoney of a Samuel Wallace GASTON, the other in June 1909 at Cootehill of a Helen Wallace GASTON. This family do appear on the 1911 Irish census but no Daniel with them. The only way your friend is going to progress back with any certainty, is to purchase the marriage certificate of Daniel & Mary from the GRO. This should at least give you his father's name & occupation and perhaps relevant witnesses, otherwise you have nothing to confirm you are researching the correct people.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Could it be because he died? There is a death registration in March 1930 at South Manchester reg district of a Daniel W GASTON, aged 21 - perhaps a possibility?

Janet
    Hi Janet, many thanks for your help, I did however make a fundamental mistake in giving you the wrong middle initial! The full name should be Daniel McGuire Gaston, we believe he was born in Scotland, his only son was born in 1928, and then Daniel "disappeared" from their lives!

We know nothing about him, as to when he died etc, and are desperate to find out about him. I appreciate we should buy his marriage certificate, but apart from looking at Scotland's People web site, is there anything else you can suggest I do please.

Thanks,

Carol

Knowledgeable and helpful

Daniel McGuire GASTON was born on 11th December 1901 at 1041 Dumbarton Road, Whiteinch, Partick, Lanarkshire.

Parents James GASTON, paper stainer's warehouseman, and Christina (maiden name McGuire), married October 21st, 1887 at Cowdenbeath.

A Daniel GASTON, aged 8, appears on the 1911 Census for Partick.

There is a death record in 1972 for a Daniel McQuire (sic) GASTON aged 70 at Glasgow Park Circus registration district.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Daniel McGuire GASTON was born on 11th December 1901 at 1041 Dumbarton Road, Whiteinch, Partick, Lanarkshire.

Parents James GASTON, paper stainer's warehouseman, and Christina (maiden name McGuire), married October 21st, 1887 at Cowdenbeath.

A Daniel GASTON, aged 8, appears on the 1911 Census for Partick.

There is a death record in 1972 for a Daniel McQuire (sic) GASTON aged 70 at Glasgow Park Circus registration district.

Peter
    WOW, what can I say, thank you so much. The next question I would like you to answer for me, if you can, is how do I go about getting the certificates?
    Am assuming you looked at the Scottish people's site, and do I owe you anything for your use of the system?
    Is there any way of knowing what Daniel died of? I am not sure what you actually see when looking at these records!
    I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help.
    I have today ordered the marriage certificate of Daniel M Gaston and Mary Wallace, who were married in the March quarter of 1928, in the registration district of Middlesbrough.
    Any help or guidance will be gratefully received.
    Once again THANK YOU.
    Regards,
    Carol

Hi Carol,

You will need to order a copy of the death certificate to ascertain the cause of death.

I had a few credits which required using up and had no current use for them......

I'll send you a PM.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by carolp View Post
    The family story goes that he "disappeared in about 1930!?"
    I had a good look around on both FMP and Anc and found no mention of him other than the above. Intriguing!

Makes obtaining the death certificate a little more worthwhile, as the name of the informant might tell you something.

Peter

Scottish death certificates can be very revealing as they should include:

name and surname of deceased
    • occupation
    • marital status
    • if married the name of the spouse
    • when and where died
    • sex
    • name and maiden surname of mother
    • if parents are deceased
    • cause of death
    • signature, address (if not where death occurred) and relation of informant
    • where and when the death was registered and the signature of registrar.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Scottish death certificates can be very revealing as they should include:

name and surname of deceased
    • occupation
    • marital status
    • if married the name of the spouse
    • when and where died
    • sex
    • name and maiden surname of mother
    • if parents are deceased
    • cause of death
    • signature, address (if not where death occurred) and relation of informant
    • where and when the death was registered and the signature of registrar.

Peter
    Hi Peter,
    You know so much more than I do, so thank you for keeping me very well informed. I have had a quick look at the Scottish people's web site, and can not for the life of me find how I go about buying a paper copy of the death certificate. Your help in showing me the way is needed please. My friend will be over the moon with this breakthrough, as their family knows absolutely nothing about Daniel. Daniel's son, Wallace Gaston, born 1928, and died 1997, died never knowing anything about his Father, and the family story was as mentioned before. There does appear to be a health problem within the family, and it would now appear that Daniel died aged 70, his son, Wallace died 69, and his son, Ian, in his 50's already has a pacemaker fitted!
    Over to you for directions please.
    Regards,
    Carol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast