Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Formerly and Maiden Surname

I’m wondering about the difference between two name references in an older English document. On one of the records I have (attached) , my great grandmother is referred to as Emma Smith, formerly Grice, maiden surname Smith. When she married my great grandfather she had a young son.

On all other documents, marriage, census and her death certificate she is referred to as Emma (Smith ) Fiddes. Her son is referred to as Smith, step-son to her husband on one census, then later in life took my great grandfather’s name Fiddes.

Should I then assume she was born Grice? Opinions welcome, Thanks Debra

Kiltpin

I would assume that she was born a Smith, married a Grice, widowed, went back to maiden name, married Fiddes.

Regards

Kiltpin

Maiden surname is the name she was born with. Formerly whatever indicates a previous marriage...

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Debra Fiddes View Post
    I’m wondering about the difference between two name references in an older English document. On one of the records I have (attached) , my great grandmother is referred to as Emma Smith, formerly Grice, maiden surname Smith. When she married my great grandfather she had a young son.

On all other documents, marriage, census and her death certificate she is referred to as Emma (Smith ) Fiddes. Her son is referred to as Smith, step-son to her husband on one census, then later in life took my great grandfather’s name Fiddes.

Should I then assume she was born Grice? Opinions welcome, Thanks Debra

Whilst not the question you asked I suggest you look for another son.

If you look at the details supplied William Fiddes and Emma Smith married 18 March 1867 this son James Fiddes was born 10 years after the marriage on 22 July 1877.
    Therefore he should not be mentioned as a stepson on any census or have to take your great grandfather’s name Fiddes.

This suggests a son born prior to 1867 who possibly died or moved out of the family home before later census.

There are other scenarios but I would look at that first.
    Cheers
    Guy

PS marriage was in St martin, London
    Last edited by Guy Etchells; 30-01-2016 at 7:34 AM. Reason: added a PS
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Reputation beyond repute

an older English document.
    Isn't it Scottish?

Official birth certificate usage in England and Wales is that 'formerly' always introduces the maiden name.

Maiden name is the name used when the woman first married. It is not necessarily the same as her birth name.

Scottish practice may be different.

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Isn't it Scottish?

Official birth certificate usage in England and Wales is that 'formerly' always introduces the maiden name.

Maiden name is the name used when the woman first married. It is not necessarily the same as her birth name.

Scottish practice may be different.
    Yes, in England and Wales it is usually x late y formerly z if widowed

In Scotland ( as is the above register entry) the Maiden name is usually the birth name ( well, it has been in all my Scottish entries I've come across which is a lot).

It's a scottish certificate folk, so I replied as to the meanings on the certificate. #3.

Guy, Yes Emma and William had five children together before her death in 1884.It is only on this one birth certificate that we see formerly Grice and this son is not from her previous marriage. Her son from her first marriage was Samuel Smith born 1864/65 in London. He took the name Samuel Fiddes. I'm looking for his father as my family line descends from Samuel. His birth name is important for this search. Samuel is indeed noted as a step son to William Fiddes.

I think you have it. With all this help I have found various resources on line that indicate that in Scotland a widow would take her maiden name. I must assume that her son Samuel, named Samuel Smith step son on census, was born after the death of her first husband. Therefore nameD Smith as no father could attest to his heritage.

Leslie, Yes this makes sense and it is great to have another opinion to support my theory. I would think that Emma was widowed , then gave birth to her son Samuel before remarrying. Would you agree that if as a widow she gave birth and the father could not acknowledge the child, then the baby would take her maiden name?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast