Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SueNSW

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieB View Post
    Sue, do you think you could look up a baptism, Halstead for William Draper, abt 1811, parents Richard and Sarah? .
    Hi again Lizzie - yes - there are actually 2 entries for William Draper in 1811 - 25 March (sister Mary Ann on same day) - and in another mass baptism on 16th April (again the Tuesday after Easter) - both son of Richard and Sarah Draper - but no other info I'm afraid

Findem

Noting William Draper's occupation of Hawker, were this family by any chance, Travellers or Romanies?

I have noted Romanies changing first names e.g my great aunt (by marriage) was a Romany, she had a brother named Zacharia in the 1881 Census, in the 1891 and 1901 Censuses he became John.

Also I've noted Romanies using the name Zilpha, probably a coincidence but it got me wondering.

It came about because I was musing why two baptisms for Sarah Ann, I could come up with only four ideas.

1) In my experience where I've come across a "doubled up baptism" it is because the baby was sickly and survival didn't look good so there would be a Private and quick baptism followed by another sometimes termed an introduction to the congregation.

2) At one time if a family fell on hard times and needed parish support they could be resettled in a parish determined as their parish of origin, someone on here can probably explain this procedure better.

3) The family changed their religious denomination.

4) The family forgot the child had already been baptised.

I felt in this case reason 1 is out, usually the second "baptism" is with a month or two of the first.

Reason 4 is unlikely because I doubt the family would have forgotten they'd baptised the child in a space of three years, although the Rector may not have believed the family when they claimed Sarah Ann had been baptised and he couldn't be bothered or too busy to check the Registers and so told the family "bring her".

Loves to help with queries

Reply again tomorrow Sue. Had replied then went straight to Findem's post and didn't hit the button. Long day today and was just heading to bed.

Loves to help with queries

Ditto to you Findem. Half way through reply to you then realised hadn't hit post button to Sue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12