Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Question Baptism Ann and Frances Draper, Halstead

I am having difficulty getting a 1 day subscription from the Essex Records Office to view the PR for 7/4/1838 St Andrew, Halstead baptisms of Ann and Frances Draper, parents William and (Sophia). The progress of my request for the 1 day sub. has been stuck on 50% so I thought I would post here in the meantime. This could just be the breakthrough I am looking for after 8 years of searching for Frances' baptism. I am particularly hoping that the mother's name Sophia is actually Zilpha(h) or could be understood as such. Thank you. LizzieB

SueNSW

Not good news I'm afraid Lizzie - Sarah Ann and Frances Draper who were baptised (according to the Register) on 17th April 1838 were shown as the daughters of William (a sawyer) and (clearly written) Sophia.

As an aside - the register shows an astonishing total of 75!!! baptisms that day. I wondered perhaps if it was Easter Sunday - but if it's right an online calendar shows it as the Tuesday after Easter. Must have been a production line - hope they weren't too noisy!

Must have a look in newspapers online to see if there is any mention of this event

SueNSW

Nothing I could see - but a search did bring up this comment from a blog of someone researching another family in Halstead

A few things stand out:

There seems to have been a local tradition in Halstead for mass baptisms at Easter each year, so any baptisms in March/April could be for infants or for children nearly a year old.

Sorry doesn't help you Lizzie - just thought it was interesting

Thanks Sue for being so prompt in replying. Disappointing. This Frances Draper all through the census gives her "where born" as Halstead, Essex and in the 1891 census she is visiting her sister Sarah Ann (Evans) born Breedon, at Bois Hill farm, Halstead just before Sarah died. From her age in the 1841 census Frances would/should have been born 1836. Throughout the census until her death in 1905 (age 69 = b. 1836) she was "born" variously bet. 1836 and 1839. And I think being non-comformist doesn't help either when it comes to searching BMD's. The info I was given (that I posted) was that the name was Ann and Frances not Sarah Ann. That was why I thought I was finally on to a winner. I can just imagine the cocophany in the church that day!!! Thanks Sue

Findem

Perhaps Easter time was the time of year the Halstead church rounded up the laggard parent parishioners and coerced them into getting their children baptised, some parishes did at times round up the laggards, Coggeshall Essex is a prime example.

Taking into account the Essex accent I wonder if the name Zilpha(h could have been heard, or rather misheard, as Sophia by whoever noted the baptisms at the time, just a thought.

My thoughts exactly, that's why I posted. Frances' older sister Sarah Ann was born 8 Feb. 1835 and bapt. Breedon 1 March 1835. Parents and dau. returned to Halstead (William's birthplace) and Sarah Ann was left with William's brother and his wife permanently. Long story short, appears William's illness forced the situation and Zilpah returned to her parents in Griffydam, Leics. with Frances. William died 1845.

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieB View Post
    From her age in the 1841 census Frances would/should have been born 1836.
    I can see the non conformist baptism (FMP) of Sarah Ann, dau of William Draper, occ. hawker and Zilpha, daughter of Thomas & Margaret Haywood. William and Zilpah married 29 May 1833 at Breedon on the Hill.

This looks to be the family (or part of) in 1841? - ref HO107 594 18 4. Cannot spot William or Sarah Ann but there is a "Fanny" - age 4, born 1837 and Louisa, age 1 - both born Leicestershire. What census reference do you have for "Frances born 1836?"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

"Fanny" in the1841 is certainly Frances. I have all census through to 1901 for Frances and the 1841 is the only time "where born" shows as Leicestershire, all the others show Halstead, Essex. See my reply to Findem re Sarah Ann and William. I have just received an email from a friend in London who got the ball rolling once again on this saying he could find no further record of a Sophia - census or burial, so I am about to go look for myself. I can understand the vicar mis-hearing the name Zilpah for Sophia but why another baptism for Sarah Ann?

I too can find no Sophia Draper on 1841/51 census. No death up til 1851. No marriage between a Sophia and a William Draper (Freereg) 1820-1838. All Halstead. Would love it if someone could confirm please. The only other thought I have on Sarah Ann's 2nd baptism St. Andrew is that William may have wanted Sarah Ann to be baptised in his Anglican(?) faith whereas Zilpah was of the Weslyan/Methodist (non-conformist) faith. Weslyan/Methodists ran through both sides of my family from its initial inception. Sue, do you think you could look up a baptism, Halstead for William Draper, abt 1811, parents Richard and Sarah? Richard and Sarah Brown were married 20th March 1793 St. Andrew, Halstead. Many, many thanks to you all.

Thanks for clarifying. Had found Frances in '51, PoB clearly "Halsted Essex" (which didn't fit the '41 entry) and puzzled to see that Louisa now appeared older than Frances?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast