Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Thanks Hugh...I def need another pair of eyes...and a better brain I think.

Regards

Pat

On his Seamens book is the note 'name changed by deed poll 1947, certificate sighted'....but he joined the RAF in 1943 under the name Macaulay
    Even now one can use any name one likes as long as it is not for illegal purposes. So your father could use the name Macaulay to join the RAF. Having the name noted by deed poll probably just made it seem more 'official' for him.

WW11 service records for the RAF are still held by the MoD but you can apply for them- at a cost of 30 pounds. You will need your Dad's death certificate. This 'sticky' explains and gives the necessary links.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

We have Dads service records for the RAF. Initially the documents are under Santanna...that is crossed out and surname Macaulay written...presumably when he changed his name.
    My husband has pointed out that Dad may not actually have been in the British Merchant Navy...he may have been on allied ships. Does anyone know how likely that is?

It is quite possible, Pat, that he could have sailed on allied ships - many seamen did sign on these ships as required during the war. However, that said, he would still have a *British discharge number and his voyages recorded centrally by the Board of Trade in the form of a CRS 10. His discharge book may or may not have had the allied ships' voyages recorded but a paper discharge may have been given.

It is true that records for allied ships are not as complete as for UK ships but at this stage I would still be looking at the CRS 10 route as your best hope. If that fails it will be difficult, especially given your location as the next stage would require a lot of luck and detective work looking through files at Kew.

*I am presuming that as he was born in the UK he would have joined the British Merchant Navy

Regards
    Hugh

Thanks Hugh...your help is invaluable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12