Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    janbooth

Looking for the origin of John SKEWES, I have come up with the following:

Alfred John SKEWES born c1908 at Illogan, Cornwall, emigrated to the US aboard the "Olympic" which embarked from Southampton on 27 April 1927 and arrived at New York on 3 May 1927. On the passenger list he is shown as a Carpenter who was living at Bartons Row, Tuckingmill, Camborne. He is the only SKEWES I can find who went to the US around 1927. The 1911 census shows him living in Illogan with mother Matilda and various siblings - no father on the census record although Matilda is described as married and that she married c1901. Marriage registration at Redruth reg district on the March qtr 1900 of an Alfred John SKEWES to a Matilda HILL, so is John SKEWES connected to Richard RICHARDS via the HILL side of the family? Birth registration of an Alfred John SKEWES in the June qtr 1907 at Redruth reg district. Naturalisation record for an Alfred John SKEWES, birth date supposedly 6 May 1906 at Detroit, Michigan, with the date 6 May 1927 under his name - is this the date he arrived in Detroit perhaps. He obviously came back to Cornwall because there is a death registration at Truro reg district in March 1982 for an Alfred John SKEWES, aged 74, dob 6 May 1907.

UK Incoming Passenger List record for an Alfred SKEWES, a Mechanic, aged 24, returning to Battler Row, Tuckingmill, Camborne, Cornwall aboard the "Majestic" which left New York and arrived at Southampton on 6 February 1932. So he definitely did not accompany Viola back to the UK.

Still does not help us find Richard, Janie & Beatrice RICHARDS coming back to the UK though, does it although we do have a definite timescale of between 1930 when the family were in Detroit and the 1939 Register record that Peter found in post 6.

Janet

genie12

Thanks for the information about John Skewes it seems that he must be a relative of Elizabeth Hill but I will leave that for the time.
    After I read your post I looked at newspapers on FMP and Alfred John Skewes appears in the Cornishman 18 May 1927. Sid Blake writes Cornish Letters and Alfred J Skewes appears in that letter. He arrived on the steamer Olympic and lived at Bartle's Row in Cornwall and was going to Detroit that evening.
    Pity Sid Blake didn't write about my family because it may have made things easier.

janbooth

Always the way, isn't it!

Janet

genie12

I left a message elswhere on the internet about this family and they were found on the Georgic , arriving 22 Jul 1935 London from New York. Beatrice was transcribed as Bestrice and Janie 54 was transcribed as Jesie 34 ! Richard hasn't been found yet .
    On Viola's passenger list there was some-one called Lily Trevena and I think that may have been an aunt to the children.

janbooth

Two down, one to go! What a good result for you. Fingers crossed you can now find Richard.

Janet

genie12

Although I haven't found Richard returning to the UK I bought Richard H Richards death certificate and he died in 1952 at Redruth UK. Haven't found Janie's death but Richard H Richards wives and children line is complete.
    Now to see if I can do the same with his brothers and sisters.

janbooth

Thanks for letting us know the result and good luck with the other lines.

Janet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12