Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Break it down 8 persons names means 4 marriages
    Sorry you are wrong. There are only two marriages. ALL the Kirkwood marriages are the same one, as this clip from GRO register shows.

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    FreeBMD has the following marriages;-

Q1 1947

Caddle Jane G Kirkwood Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Ewing Jane G Kirkwood Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Herrington Henry Pike Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Kirkwood Jane G Kirkwood Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Kirkwood John G Kirkwood Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Kirkwood John G Caddle Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Kirkwood John G Ewing Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Pike Irene Herrington Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608

There are notes attached to the Kirkwood marriages saying spouse is Caddle or Ewing or Kirkwood. This suggests Jane G had been married several times before.

This is the only John Kirkwood spouse Jane ?? returned between 1930 and 1968 which is the next John Kirkwood marriage but not to a Jane.
    These 8 person where married in this first Quarter

Q1 1947 means First Quarter (3 months) 1947 - Jan, Feb, March
    5g means Volume Number
    608 means Page Number

If Jane had been married before the marriages would be in separate Volumes and on different pages
    there would not be 3 different certificates issued with her different names on when she married John Kirkwood

A fountain of knowledge

The reason for six Kirkwood marriage listings is the way FReeBMD have transcribed the entry and the way the entry has been entered into GRO Index.

There was only ONE certificate issued for her marriage to John Kirkwood which included the THREE surnames that Jane G ??? was/had been known by.

There would of course been certificates issued for Jane G ???'s previous marriages.
    Last edited by macwil; 27-01-2016 at 3:15 PM. Reason: clarification

Growing old Disgracefully

Looked on FreeBMD for marriages of Jane Hughes to Mr Ewing or Mr Caddle nothing coming up

There was only ONE certificate issued for her marriage to John Kirkwood which included the THREE surnames that Jane G ??? was/had been known by.
    Correct

Jane may, or may not have been married to a Caddle or Ewing, these were surnames she had previously been known by,
    Alma

These births suggest the above marriage is not the one pwholt is looking for, Jane Hughes born 1880 would be too old to be giving birth in 1940. As this person born 1940 could still be alive I will be careful with what info I post.

Check Births Jun 1940, Surrey Mid East, vol 2a, page 628, Caddle/Ewing or Kirkwood/Ewing
    Alma

A fountain of knowledge

after reading this I am not convinced ...Jane - if she married in 1917 she was 37 - do you have proof she divorced ??...the chances areif that is your Jane - that her husband may have been killed in WW1 - and in 1901 she was a 21 yr old working in a Cafe ??...she must have met many many men working there ...I would suggest that not being able to find her from 1901 census onwards - she probably married between 1901 and 1911 ...having a little look around

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks, Garstonite, but if you knew Auntie Jane, it is perfectly in character for her not to marry until she was 37. She was definitely an early women's lib type. Probably a Suffragette as well, although none of the family tales so indicate.pwholt

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default John Kirkwood

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    I've come full circle to where I began 40 years agol Help, please.
    Jane Hughes was my grandmother's eldest sister. She was born in Birkenhead in March 1880, daughter of George Hughes and Elizabeth Morris. George was a baker/newsagent/sub-postmaster. Elizabeth was from Henllan, Denbighshire. It is details of Jane's life which I want.

In 1901 she was still living at home, working as a cafe waitress although my mother told me she trained as a furrier. In 1911 she was elsewhere. There are over 180 possibilities born in 1880- on 1911 census, so search is not viable.

Jane married and then divorced him. No name or date has ever been mentioned. A cousin made poor notes from a family Bible which indicate she married 23 June 1917 but no place or name is noted. None of the options look likely.
    Jane married again to John Kirkwood who was a lecturer in textiles in Belfast, no date known but definitely before early 1950s. They lived in Carrickfergus. They had no children together but I believe John had some from a previous marriage. Both lived into their 90s. I think Jane died in 1975 or 76 aged 95.
    Recently a photograph of a lady in VAD uniform has come to light along with a photo of Jane in her 90s which I recognise. The VAD one is dated 1917 but gives no names.
    Suggestions to find dates of marriages and death please. pwholt
    Not sure if this is helpful but I had a great Uncle John Kirkwood who was a lecturer in textiles at Belfast Technical College, he lived in Carrickfergus with his 2nd wife Jane but I was only young when he died and unfortunately my parents are dead and also his children from his first marriage so I can't really get you any more information .

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by dambarbie View Post

Not sure if this is helpful but I had a great Uncle John Kirkwood who was a lecturer in textiles at Belfast Technical College, he lived in Carrickfergus with his 2nd wife Jane but I was only young when he died and unfortunately my parents are dead and also his children from his first marriage so I can't really get you any more information .
    I have a photo of my Grandmother whose name was also Jane Kirkwood in a VAD uniform.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast