Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default 3 x great grandfather Born in Cork, no record

Hi,

In one of the family names I am researching I have managed to trace my 3xgreat grandfather on my Mums side of the family back to Cork.

Thomas Copeland from Cork, birth date unknown, but he died before 1869, and he had a son William Thomas Copeland 1845-1917, who was also born in Cork, they moved at some point to England and the rest is history as they say. He must have been married but I can't find anything on a marriage either.

I am really struggling with finding anything on Irish records. The websites I have found are really limited.

Does anyone have any advice please? Many thanks!

Clare

Name well known on Brit-Gen

If you type Irish genealogy websites into google you will find quite a few sites appear..including

https://www.cyndislist.com/uk/irl/bmd/

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Starting to feel at home

I'm struggling to find anything. Think I've hit a brick wall...

Did wonder if Thomas was in the Army who were based in Cork! Not having a potential timeframe for him doesn't make it easy!

Do you have a UK census reference for his son?

Starting to feel at home

William T Copeland his son is on 1891 and 1881 census - he's a Sawyer. I've got his marriage certificate as well, his father had died by the time he had married Isabella.

On his marriage to Isabella BELL in 1869, William states his father is Thomas deceased, he to was a sawyer. He also stated he was residing at Drummond Street.

A quick search of the 1871 census reveals a BARNES family residing on the street albeit John b 1842 Dorset. The road seems to be quite long and I have not searched it for any other BARNES but maybe if you find this witness whose forename I cannot decipher may help.

RG10; Piece: 224; Folio: 27; Page: 47

RG10; Piece: 228; Folio: 46; Page: 3;
    William Coupland 28
    Isabella Coupland 23
    Ann Coupland 12 age doesn't look right!

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by mrshilly View Post
    Hi,

Thomas Copeland from Cork, birth date unknown, but he died before 1869, and he had a son William Thomas Copeland 1845-1917, who was also born in Cork, they moved at some point to England and the rest is history as they say. He must have been married but I can't find anything on a marriage either.

Clare
    You need to be looking for a birth certificate for the son William Thomas Copeland, that will give you his mothers maiden name. then you can look for the marriage certificate as you will have both names.

You should be looking for the death certificate for Thomas Copeland that may give you his age at his death so you can work out when he was born.

You are not going to find anything that you need to know by looking at the Census if they are in England.
    Last edited by Sandyhall; 24-01-2016 at 6:07 PM. Reason: to add info

William Copeland and Isabella Copeland nee Bell with children are on Census from 1871 through to 1911.

Children
    Annie Eleanor 1871
    Ellen L 1876
    Isabella 1877/1878

1871 just after he married Isabella they are living in st Pancras, London
    all the others they are living in Paddington, London

Not bad going for 37 minutes since my last post + no sub for ancestry

As I can't find him on any earlier census he must have come over to England between date of birth and 1871 Census

Just found this it is a possible match a Marriage for a Thomas Copeland mentioned in the record of Thomas Copeland and Anne Sadleir

Thomas Copeland - Birth Date, 1822, Age 25
    Spouse's Name - Anne Sadleir, Spouse's Birth Date, 1822, Spouse's Age 25
    Event Date 20 Jun 1847
    Event Place Temple Bready, Cork, Ire
    Father's Name - Thomas Copeland
    Spouse's Father's Name - George Sadleir

You will find the above marriage record on familysearch.org to order a copy of the original entry form the resource centre you will need the following
    Citing this Record

"Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FG6C-QR4 : accessed 24 January 2016), Thomas Copeland and Anne Sadleir, 20 Jun 1847; citing Temple Bready, Cork, Ire, reference 2:3KGKKWK; FHL microfilm 101,287.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast