Settling in

Red face Hello to the Harrison-Sperring-Parker-Holden

Hello, I just joined this forum. I have been researching my family tree for almost five years, just after my dad passed away in 2011. I was initially brick walled about my grandmother about 6 months after I started and kind of gave up until two months ago when I re-started at it, only seriously this time. Now I am totally engrossed in it, as I am sure you can all sympathize with!

I was born in Ipswich, Suffolk, but have been living with my wife in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, since we emigrated here in 1980. My Dad never knew his real parents, and only knew that he had two older brothers, didn't even know their names until a few years ago, and that his father was a Canadian soldier.

My current research focuses around my grandmother who was born Florence Jane Sperring in, I believe, Somerset. She had three children with my grandfather, a member of the Canadian Expeditionary Force between 1916 and 1919, one in Folkestone and the other two, including my Dad, in Hythe, Kent. However the names she gave for herself on the latter two birth certificates was Agnes Florence Sperring. I understand it was not uncommon in those days for people to change their names for whatever reason.

So I am currently trying to link her brother, a William Sperring, who is known to have been a sergeant in the South Wales Borderers regiment of WW1 to her. That will then verify who she is and then that she is, in fact, my grandmother.

Welcome to Brit-Gen

I have been taking a little look at some of the people you mention in your introductory post but am of the opinion that if you want help with researching Florence Jane you should start a new thread - in the Somerset forum? - tell us what you already know for sure so we don't go over old ground eg How did you link Florence Jane to a brother William? I know they both exist and there are two of these names together on the 1891 and 1901 censuses parents William and Alice but need proof to link them.

Ah just seen your new post

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs