Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Lightbulb John Zamoiski wed Sarah Jacobs 1850's

Hi..I am looking for info oh John Zamoiski who may have married my great great grandmother Sarah Jacobs in London area in early to mid 1850's. She was Jewish, I do not think he was..they emigrated to the States in 1860s.

Rich F.

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums Rich
    I have given your post a thread of its own as the person who first offered help on the original thread is no longer a member.
    As your post is now a stand alone thread it will hopefully receive the attention it deserves

Its title is now John Zamoiski wed Sarah Jacobs 1850's

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Richard
    I have seen your public Ancestry.Com Family Tree. If you look on Free BMD using phonetic name searches for the surname Zamoiski you will see specific matching spellings of the name but nothing which matches John and Sarah Jacobs. There are Zamoiski listed in the Exeter region and later London City but nothing on John or Sarah or their son Joseph.
    In the Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-80 transcribed and editedv by Doreen Berger,1999 Publisher Robert Boyd there is reference to the late Abraham Zamoiski and his son Isaac who informed friends that the tombstone of his father would be set on 28 April 1877 West Ham Cemetery. The surname Zamoiski is Jewish in this context but further research is needed to clearly identify John and Sarah.
    Phillip

Richard
    As you are aware the spelling of the surname Zamoiski varies significantly and variations include Zamosky; Zamoskey among several others. If you look on JewishGen UK Data base under the Zamoiski surname and derivations you will see Solomon Rodolph Zamoiski living in Exeter and the 1851 Census has data on his marriage and children. It maybe that this individual has no connection to your lines but worth considering. There are no records that I have currently identified which give any clues to John, Sarah, Joseph, Amelia in the 1861 British Census but this assumes that the surname is the correct one including derivations. It is possible that the USA census recorded wrote the surname as he/she heard it or the surname was adopted when the family moved to the USA. I can't see any immigration records for the family but am aware that records were often poor or did not exist.
    Not a lot of help I appreciate but other researchers may be able to assist.
    Phillip

Richard
    I have read various snippets relating to Joseph M Zamioski which say that he left the UK for the USA in 1863 and that his father was Jacob. The Chronicling America Newspapers online also have numbers of articles on Joseph - Der Deutsche Correspondent Baltimore.
    Is this the Burial Record for Sarah? Sarah Zamoiski b abt 1835 died 22 July 1901 Age 66 Baltimore Hebrew Cemetery Maryland USA.
    I would be very surprised if John aka Jacob was not Jewish as per your first post possible query.
    Phillip

Richard
    I take this record to be the death record for Joseph's father- Jacob Zamioski birth unknown -death May 29 1894 age 62 Baltimore Hebrew Cemetery. Also noted on Chronicling America Der Deutsche Baltimore reference to a Jacob Zamoiski and a date of 1760s- I can't read the High German Gothic Script so you might want to get the article translated.
    Phillip

Richard
    UK Index to Register of Passport Applications 1851-1903- Findmypast- John Zamoiski 1859
    You might want to see the record.
    Phillip

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by richfeld View Post
    Hi..I am looking for info oh John Zamoiski who may have married my great great grandmother Sarah Jacobs in London area in early to mid 1850's. She was Jewish, I do not think he was..they emigrated to the States in 1860s.

Rich F.
    Rich.....I have just started researching the same info. My name is John Zamoiski and I live in NYC. My father was Joe Zamoiski II, grandfather Calman Z Sr, great Grandfather Joe Z I and great great grandfather John (Jacob) Zamoiski. I have learned a little and maybe you can help me fill in some blanks. I guess we are related. I grew up in Chevy Chase and have been in NY for 40 years...Can we connect?my email is john.zamoiskiATgmailDOTcom. Very curious. I believe that my cousin (who I have not spoken to in 35 years) Clair Z Segal has a medal that John (Jacob) zamoiski was given in the Crimean War. As I understand it, he married Sarah who was Jewish and had Joe Sr. in 1858. He came to Baltimore in 1860 and Joe followed in 1863 or 1865. He married Tena (Jewish Museum in Baltimore has a wedding invite I found)....anyway...would love to meet a relative! get in touch.also.....John (Jacaob may have used a different last name in the service in order to show he was jewish...its a rumor i think i heard from my grandmother...
    Last edited by christanel; 12-02-2020 at 8:25 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Quote Originally Posted by jzamoiski View Post
    I believe that my cousin (who I have not spoken to in 35 years) Clair Z Segal has a medal that John (Jacob) zamoiski was given in the Crimean War. As I understand it, he married Sarah who was Jewish and had Joe Sr. in 1858. He came to Baltimore in 1860 and Joe followed in 1863 or 1865. He married Tena (Jewish Museum in Baltimore has a wedding invite I found)....anyway...would love to meet a relative! get in touch.also.....John (Jacaob may have used a different last name in the service in order to show he was jewish...its a rumor i think i heard from my grandmother...
    Hi jzamoiski, and welcome to the British Genealogy Forums.

Rich hasn't been back to his thread since he made his original post so he may not respond to your message. However, we can and will try to help you and to do so it would be helpful of you can answer a few questions.

I may have found John (Jacob) on the 1861 English census. The details are.............
    6, Union Street, St George, Hanover Square, London. RG 9; Piece: 46; Folio: 55; Page: 43;
    John Martin Zamoyski [sic]age 28, born 1833 in Warsaw Poland, British Subject.
    His occupation is described as: Court Retired From Business Lieutenant Royal Monmouth Regiment of Militia

How certain are you that John emigrated to USA in 1860? Is it possible it was a little later?
    Do you know if John had a middle name? I see from online trees that Joseph had the middle initial M, do you know what the M stood for?

I should mention that the John above was enumerated on the census as unmarried, it could be a mistake or perhaps he and Sarah married later than you think.

The John on the census is interesting as you mention your John was active in the Crimean War.
    Alma

John Zamoski, Age: 29, a pedlar.
    Departed London, England
    Arrived New York,31st Jul 1862 on the ship Villa Franca
    Alma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast