Thread: Mendip Legion

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Mendip Legion

Hi All,

I have a copy of a document promoting my 4th great grandfather, John Hancock (Somerset), to Ensign in the Western Regiment of the Mendip Legion. Its dated 1804 and Francis Edward Whalley was Lieutenant Colonel Commandant. It is signed Poulett (John Earl Poulett). I can't seem to find much on the Mendip Legion, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good source for more information.

Appreciate any help

Cheers

Allen Goodwin-Hancock

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from FWR then reading This will tell you about us.

The National Archives has a couple of articles on the Mendip Legion. I haven't read them but have you seen them?
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...=Mendip+Legion

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

thewideeyedowl

Default Google Books

Hi Allen, and a very warm welcome to Brit Gen...

Google Books is a good place to start your search for the elusive Mendip Legion. Here is the link to the first page of the long list of hits: https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=...Mendip+Legion). Most of the old books and lists are free. The problem, of course, is that these are mainly lists or passing references, but you might find some hints.

And while on Google Books, type in John, Earl Poulett and you will see that a man of that name - possibly 'your' John, Earl Poulett's ancestor - stood trial for murder in the mid-18th century. ('Earl' is a title, by the way, not a standalone name.)

Was going to give the references to this Legion at TNA but clever Christina got there first - but then she's half a day ahead of me(!).

Off to roost to catch up with tomorrow.

Owl

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you so much Christina! The National Archive actually had a few documents available. Some were held at the National Archives and some at the Somerset Heritage Center. I couldn't view them online so I put in a request for copies. That's a great help....Thank You!!!

Cheers

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks so much OWL! Google books had a fair amount of information. Lots of leads to follow! I appreciate the help.

All the best!

Allen