Default No DVD player on computer

Have just done a short poll of my numerous grandchildren (mostly adults) and only one of them has a computer with a DVD player. The rest are tablets, phones and laptops with no CD/DVD option.

So how am I going to leave them a gedcom when I pop my clogs?

cheers Ed
    www.jeaned.net
    [url]https://edmck.blogspot.co.uk[url]

USB memory sticks/external drives? I bought one because of the large collection that I have from ArchiveCD Books...
    Or leave them each enough money to buy a USB external DVD drive....

When the Next Generation married, I gave each of them a hardcopy version of many of the family photos interspersed with descendant and ancestor trees... Paper's more stable than electronic storage!

My notebook doesn't have a DVD player so I use an external one plugged in to a USB port.

Your grandchildren could download a free family tree program and you could email your gedcom file to them, which if large could be sent by a free large file sender such as WeTransfer - really easy to use. (just did it to make sure I knew what I was talking about!) I don't think media items transfer but I seem to recall there is a program that can do this?
    Or you could use a private program such as the free version of TribalPages and give them all access with a person you trust having the same administrative rights as you. Being free depends on how much information is in your tree.
    As Leslie says paper records are the way to go but only one person can receive those. So again a choice has to be made as to who becomes the conservator for them.
    I only have the one son and no grandchildren so he will be left with all my files and strict instructions to give them to my sister if he can't be bothered with them.
    Actually I don't really care what happens to it all. I enjoyed the chase.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you Lesley and Christanel. As I said there was only one "proper PC" and I suspect this will go all too soon (hopefully before me!!) so the USB and external options will not happen. Have a tribal pages tree but that appears to be of passing interest. I go along with the views of paper records which is why I write family histories, have done seven so far, but am thinking more about the totality of the research which it is a shame to waste. Yes Christanel, why should I worry after I have gone?. Very philosophical but then again why do I keep on researching at my age.
    www.jeaned.net
    [url]https://edmck.blogspot.co.uk[url]

Kiltpin

Quote Originally Posted by Ed McKie View Post
    Thank you Lesley and Christanel. As I said there was only one "proper PC" and I suspect this will go all too soon (hopefully before me!!) so the USB and external options will not happen. Have a tribal pages tree but that appears to be of passing interest. I go along with the views of paper records which is why I write family histories, have done seven so far, but am thinking more about the totality of the research which it is a shame to waste. Yes Christanel, why should I worry after I have gone?. Very philosophical but then again why do I keep on researching at my age.
    Hello Ed and All,

A few thoughts that might be of interest.

Dropbox - is a free programme which allows a person to transfer huge files to another. Only those with the password can get in. There does not seem to be a limit to the size that can be stored. Provided a person has internet access and the password all the data can be accessed from anywhere in the world. It is a pretty lo-tech solution and easy to use. I use it to transfer files to friends in North America and Australia - at times when they are both asleep. At their leisure they can see the files and comment or not.

Western Digital (WD) make whole range of file storage products. I have beside me, at this moment, their pocket-sized external hard drive - 1 Terrabyte. It is USB, but most (if not all) tablets and surfaces have a facility to connect to USB. A patch lead will have to be bought, but it can be done.
    They also do a range of external hard drives which are designed to be permanently fixed. These come in larger capacities up to 8 Terrabytes. They have their own power supply and mine are plugged into my router, so that they don't have to plug them into my laptop.
    Lastly and probably bestly they make 'MyCloud'. Mine is a 3 Terrabyte storeage, but it works exactly like Dropbox (provided your router is on).

Between Dropbox and MyCloud, your relatives can have access to everything they need or want, now or at anytime in the future.

Regards

Kiltpin

Reputation beyond repute

Google Drive or anything similar.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Ed McKie View Post
    Have just done a short poll of my numerous grandchildren (mostly adults) and only one of them has a computer with a DVD player. The rest are tablets, phones and laptops with no CD/DVD option.

cheers Ed
    The age old question!

One answer is to fall back on the failsafe paper option, it can be utilised with nothing more than the Mark I Eyeball.
    Other options would be to upload it to various free websites such as the Rootsweb freepages (which happen to be down until around the 15th of March, that’s the problem with all online storage).
    Another alternative is to buy yourself a NAS drive (Network Attached Storage).
    A NAS drive is really a disk drive that plugs in to your computer network.
    It is like having a private cloud in your house or office but cheaper and faster but which provides most of the benefits of a public cloud onsite, while giving you complete control.
    The one benefit of cloud storage it does not provide is a separate location which could be important in case of flood or fire.

The NAS storage can be accessed via your network by connecting it to your router (or hub)

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.