Starting to feel at home

Default The Dorothy (1815ish)

I'm just trying to learn what I can about this ship.

I know it went from the UK to Canada in 1815, bringing immigrants.

Does anyone well-versed in seafaring history know anything about this boat?

Does a picture or sketch exist?

Note, I believe there was a brig Dorothy and a ship Dorothy around the same time, so I don't want to confuse them...

I know that A Dorothy disappeared at sea in 1820, but don't know if it was the same one.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I "googled" the following brig "Dorothy" 1815 to Canada and got a lot of hits. Of particular interest is that on a freepages genealogy site because it says "Dorothy" set sail on 12 July 1815 with 194 of the 699 emigrants. Of the 363 that settled in Glengarry 98 percent travelled in family groups... Once you hve the captain's name, you can search on Lloyd's List to get more information. His name may chnge but you should have been able to locate some distinguishing information. pwholt

A fountain of knowledge

https://www.theshipslist.com/ships/pa...ohnindex.shtml

mentions a Brig Dorothy sailed from Sligo, Ireland in April 1834. Master: Thomas Lamb.

Another page on the same site

https://www.theshipslist.com/ships/pa...othy1815.shtml

lists the 1815 passengers. Captain Spence sailed from Greenock July 12th 1815.

A fountain of knowledge

The Register of Ships 1764-2001 Gilbert Provost - from the Lloyd's Register of British and Foreign Shipping list two ships named Dorothy, first constructed in 1812, the second constructed in 1847.

The following link takes you to the appropriate page.

https://users.xplornet.com/~shipping/ShipsD.htm
    Last edited by macwil; 11-01-2016 at 2:42 PM. Reason: emphasis

Knowledgeable and helpful

Lloyds' Register of Ships lists two ships named Dorothy in 1813. One is captained by McIntosh. It has 193 tonnage and is single decked, aged 12 years and owned by Willis & Co. It was registered in Whitby and surveyed in London as E1, ie second class.. In 1819, a boat of the same name but now a brig, of the same tonnage and registered in Whitby, captained by W Pearson is sailing London to Quebec. It is now owned by T Benson. Rated E1 but last surveyed 5 years ago. I cannot access the List for 1815 plus/minus a year, to see if the captain of this or any boat was Spence, to confirm which if either might be the one you seek. pwholt