Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    June Welsby

Default John Humfrey b1756 Great Stanmore, Middlesex

Hi I haven't been on BG for some time. We moved house and all associated things related to this just put me behind with my Genealogy. I am now getting back into it and have a problem with my Humfrey family. I have traced them back to Great Stanmore, Middlesex with some of the ancestors moving into the London area or into Kent. However, John married Ann Turner born abt 1759 in Mayfield Sussex. They married in Mayfield around 1782 but I can only record them having 2 children, Thomas b 1784 and John b1787 both in Great Stanmore. John (the father) died in Great Stanmore in 1840 but apparently Ann died in 1816 in Mayfield, Sussex. I can't seem to confirm these details, but I can prove Thomas and John. I also think that there may have been other children born to this couple but can't seem to find the details. It seems strange that Ann would go back to Mayfield to die, but maybe she was visiting her family and just happened to die while she was there. The baptism records for Thomas and John list their parents as John and Ann in Great Stanmore.
    Can anyone add to this and hopefully confirm or discount the details that I have above? I am a member of FMP and use Ancestry through a friend, I also use Parish Records wherever they are available (if I can find them). I do look at Family Trees but only as a guide, then I try to prove or disprove the details given.
    June Welsby

I can only record them having 2 children, Thomas b 1784 and John b1787 both in Great Stanmore
    Are the records from a parish register?
    Alma

June Welsby

Yes.....I have confirmed all except for Ann Turner. Hence the reason for my questions. I confirmed John (b1756) through the birth/baptisms of the 2 children I have but not Ann.
    Could it be possible that John , although born in Great Stanmore, may have come from Sussex?

Hi June,

Did you find the two baptisms online and if so where? If you know for sure John was born in Great Stanmore then no he cannot be from Sussex. Do you have John snr's baptism record. I've seen his burial in the Stanmore Parish Register where it says he was born abt. 1756, but there's no proof in that record that he was born in Great Stanmore. Have you looked for them under other spellings as: Humfrey/Humfreys/Humphrey/Humphreys/Humphries?
    Alma

June, if you are unsure of John's wife's name - have you considered Frances?

Name: Frances Humprey
    Record Type: Burial
    Estimated birth year: abt 1756
    Death Date: abt 1835
    Burial Date: 8 Sep 1835
    Burial Place: St John the Evangelist, Great Stanmore, England
    Parish or Poor Law Union: St John the Evangelist, Great Stanmore
    Borough: Harrow
    Register Type: Parish Register
    Alma

June I've gone through the parish register for St John the Evangelist, Great Stanmore years 1784 and 1787 and haven't found baptisms for either Thomas, or John.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by June Welsby View Post
    Hi . apparently Ann died in 1816 in Mayfield, Sussex. I can't seem to confirm these details.
    The baptism records for Thomas and John list their parents as John and Ann in Great Stanmore.
    I don't think the Ann who died 1816 in Mayfield is the ancestor you are looking for

Name Ann
    Event Type Burial
    Event Date 12 Apr 1816
    Event Place Mayfield, Mayfield, Sussex, England
    Gender Female
    Age 69
    Marital Status Married
    Birth Year (Estimated) 1747
    Spouse's Name Walter Humphrey

Please confirm where you got the baptism details, also what is exactly recorded i.e. dates, parents and any other info
    Alma

June Welsby

Hi Almach
    Firstly this is a quick reply because we are going out soon, so I'll give you basic info then I will have to go to my folders to check further.
    John Snr ..... Gardener ......Death FreeBMD 3/109 1840 Harrow., Burial Great Stanmore 101.5.1840

John Jnr .........Bricklayer. Married Dinah White, Parish Registers Borough Westminster....died Harrow 1943. Died in the Hendon Union Workhouse of which I have a copy somewhere.

Have to go now, will get back to you later today.

Thomas....Builder....My direct ancestor....Married Elizabeth Inwood, Parish Registers. Died Harrow, Free BMD 3/135 1845. Census 1841

Thank you, June, but none of that info explains or provides proof that John snr, John junior and Thomas were born in Stanmore. I have seen them on census returns, but not found baptisms in Stanmore. Leads me to believe they were born in another parish......unless you have their baptisms
    Alma

1841 Great Stanmore
    Thomas Humfrey 57 N so not born in county Middlesex
    Elizabeth Humfrey 57, Y - born in county
    Frederic Humfrey 15, Y " " "

John Humfrey 53, Y
    Dinah "" 47, Y
    Caroline "" 14, Y
    George "" 10, Y
    Emma " " 8, Y

It is possible Thomas and John were born in different counties, but also a possibility one or the other has been recorded wrongly
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast