Loves to help with queries

Default Born in Connecticut

The 1901 UK Census has William Oliver as a british citizen but born in USA (Connecticut I believe) in 1870.
    Can anyone give me any further info of him eg where in Connecticut, when did he come to Uk and where and when did he marry Emily (surname not known). They had a child William in 1889

Brick wall demolition expert!

The 1891 Census, shows William (now born 1868) and Emily and their son William living at 2 Court, Cumberland Street, Ecclesall Bierlow, Yorkshire; [piece 3806 Folio 120 Page 9], and that gives Connecticut as his place of birth.

A William Oliver married Emily Burbeaby in Ecclesall Bierlow in 1888. July quarter Vol 9C page 344. If you purchase this certificate it will give you William’s Father’s name, and using that you might be able to trace the family further back.

As he appears to be an unskilled worker I wonder whether his mother was at sea with his father?

Loves to help with queries

Thanks for that. Found the entry now on Family Search. Strangely enough FreeBMdid not have a note of Emily

Famous for offering help & advice

Default 1871 census

This may be him in 1871 census, In the DALEY household, Sheffield
    1871 Census: RG10/4684 folio 147 page 35
    Sarah Ann OLIVER, married, age 32, Lodger born Sheffield, Yorkshire
    William OLIVER, age 2, Lodger, born America

You need his marriage certificate for sure. I could not find him or Sarah in 1881.

Brick wall demolition expert!

The page number for the 1871 Census should read 38.

In 1881 Sarah Oliver aged 42 is a widow visiting the King family in Sheffield. She is described as a domestic charwoman and with her is William aged 12. [Piece: 4641; Folio: 66; Page: 9]. Note the return says that he was born in Sheffield, but I think that you can ignore that and assume that this is your man.

If you get William's marriage certificate then that will give you his father's name, and then you search for a marriage record between Sarah Ann and the father.