Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

So in general terms, DNA geneology is just another 'gimmic' that's sold to to those who are trying to add weight to a family tree, in regards to companies such as Ancestree sites.

It's all about profit, and making cash for their shareholders and investors.

All I know about DNA, is that my ex wife and I have a strand that rears it's ugly head as Osteogenesis Imperfecta. And when you see the results of this, in an X-ray of our two hour old child, that's when DNA testing is worthy of being done.

So if people want to waste their money, especially trying to put together a family tree......good luck to you, but I would rather you donate your cash to research of such genetic problems.

Read this, before you buy a DNA test.

Type 3 OI is also a severe form of brittle bone disease. It causes bones to break easily. In type 3 OI, your child’s body produces enough collagen but it’s poor quality. Your child’s bones can even begin to break before birth. Bone deformities are common and may get worse as your child gets older.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Loves to help with queries

Hi Guy

My English can sometimes escape me, as I mentioned in an earlier post I am completely anti DNA testing for Genalogy purposes amd most definately against it to prove religeon. A certain Mr Gates uses it for curiosity purposes only.

So back to the above;
    The Moslem /Morisco people who settled in Morocco were Spanish, a number of their ancestors may have been moslems from North Africa or further afield but by 1600 they were Iberian. So you would expect just as the researches did to find a part of their DNA was Spanish not just . But as explained above the researches found no difference, which meant that the Spanish DNA had become so diluted over the past 400 years that it no longer existed.

Roman Britain, dont under estimate the number of Roman or to be more exact citizens of the Empire that came and settled in Britain over nearly 400 years. Even allowing for this the majority of the population was Celtic.. so fast foreward you would expect some part of the modern English DNA to match that of Wales and Cornwell. but it doesnt. Which just as in the case of Morocco a dominant gene has completely removed any trace of the celtic population not famine genocide or war. As to the invaders bringing the same DNA give or take, is wrong as if it were true there would be know massive difference between the Welsh and English DNA,

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by kevininlondon View Post
    Hi Guy

My English can sometimes escape me, as I mentioned in an earlier post I am completely anti DNA testing for Genalogy purposes amd most definately against it to prove religeon. A certain Mr Gates uses it for curiosity purposes only.
    I am not anti DNA testing for genealogy, but I do think far too many claims are being made for DNA.
    These claims are made based of relatively tiny samples of population. The sample numbers are so small they are insignificant.

So back to the above;
    The Moslem /Morisco people who settled in Morocco were Spanish, a number of their ancestors may have been moslems from North Africa or further afield but by 1600 they were Iberian. So you would expect just as the researches did to find a part of their DNA was Spanish not just . But as explained above the researches found no difference, which meant that the Spanish DNA had become so diluted over the past 400 years that it no longer existed.
    What do you mean by Spanish?
    Are the “Spanish” the Germanic tribes that pushed in circa 400 A.D. or the Umayyad who conquered on 700 A.D.?
    Perhaps you are referring to the Phoenicians, Carthaginians or even the Greeks who all founded trading colonies in the region?
    That is the problem the populations of Europe have never been isolated groups alone with no outside influence. There has always been a constant mixing of people and races in Europe throughout history.

Roman Britain, dont under estimate the number of Roman or to be more exact citizens of the Empire that came and settled in Britain over nearly 400 years. Even allowing for this the majority of the population was Celtic.. so fast foreward you would expect some part of the modern English DNA to match that of Wales and Cornwell. but it doesnt. Which just as in the case of Morocco a dominant gene has completely removed any trace of the celtic population not famine genocide or war. As to the invaders bringing the same DNA give or take, is wrong as if it were true there would be know massive difference between the Welsh and English DNA,
    I am not underestimating the numbers of “Romans” but I do question the ethnicity of those “Romans” they would in fact be made up of people from all parts of the Roman Empire and indeed mercenaries as well from who knows where.
    Some areas of Cornwall and indeed Wales were welcoming to the “Romans” and as a result had very few troops based there, other areas had high populations of troops established for many years to control the resident population.

But there is no reason to believe that the roots of these troops were any different from the roots of the Cornish or Welsh population, i.e. they were made up of a mix of European (from the continent of Europe & north Africa) ethnicities.
    DNA has confirmed that rather than Celts being a genetically separate group they actually represent a culture or tradition rather than a racial grouping.
    Studies have shown that the DNA of Cornish people is closer to the DNA of England than the DNA of Wales and that the DNA of people of South Wales differs from the DNA of the people of North Wales.

When we talk of DNA however we must remember that all these studies are made from tiny samples of populations rather than samples which cover the whole population of an area and because of this we must treat the conclusions as theories, open to change, rather than facts.

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Loves to help with queries

Hi Guy

Still not sure your defending DNA just being somewhat pedantic.. my comments were observations in a general sense..
    Ofcourse Spain has been invaded numerous times just like the whole of Europe, but by 1600 the mix of what we now call Spanish had been cast. So even me the biggest anti dna person on the planet was really quiet suprised at the Test Results in Morocco. Because if this is a true result then it completely undermines people faith in dna tests proving who they are, but it reinforces my thoughts and those of a certain Mr Gates in America. As to the tests done here again I am not arguing with you I am fully aware of the variations (history is my thing). Rome was here for 400 years, Britain was Roman and its people were citizens of Rome.. Look at America it has been in existance for less time and is made up of a huge number of ethnicities and nationalities yet all claim to be Americans.

When I first read the report, I thought its impossible there has to be another explanation but then Spain, 1600 hundred was not that long ago and plenty of familys I am sure know their history. My own family escaped to Morocco over 100 years earlier from Toledo and returned when the British took control of Gibraltar in 1720.even I anti DNA man that I am would have expected some difference, but no difference.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456