Default Balfours of Pilrig

Kia ora
    I have turned up a reference to this book and wondered if anyone had access to a copy ....
    Genealogical Table of the Family of Balfour of Pilrig: Shewing the Descendants of Alexander Balfour of Inchrye, C. 1470, and the Collateral Branches from James Balfour of Pilrig, 1681. Printed for Private Circulation

Thanks
    daryl

Reputation beyond repute

The Society of Genealogists' library has a copy of The Balfours of Pilrig; a history for the family by Barbara Balfour-Melville pub. Edinburgh 1907.

I know that's not of immediate use to you but I mention it in case it helps you to get to where you want to be.

A 1907 book about the same family is available for free download from the Internet Archive HERE. There's a range of file options - the pdf is a bit over 15MB so only do it over a fast connection.

I always check the Internet Archive first when looking for books - many major libraries have cooperated in the scanning of the older parts of their collections - you can lose hours once you start looking through their catalogue!

The book you're actually asking about is listed in the LDS catalogue of microfilmed books, so you could visit your nearest LDS FHS and ask them to get the film for you to look at.

deleted
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Ignore link above.
    I thought I was posting a link to the Westminster Magazine 1782. The intended article in that publication wasn't related to the book requested. It was just a rather stinging review of James Balfour of Pilrig's "Philosophical Dissertations" - posted for interest only. However, the magazine is not available on line (had transposed notes in my folder).
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    A 1907 book about the same family is available for free download from the Internet Archive HERE. There's a range of file options - the pdf is a bit over 15MB so only do it over a fast connection.

I always check the Internet Archive first when looking for books - many major libraries have cooperated in the scanning of the older parts of their collections - you can lose hours once you start looking through their catalogue!

The book you're actually asking about is listed in the LDS catalogue of microfilmed books, so you could visit your nearest LDS FHS and ask them to get the film for you to look at.
    Thanks Lesley I have bookmarked the Internet Archive and shall visit frequently I suspect.
    I have an electronic version of The Balfours of Pilrig : a history for the family but it appears to be quite error-ridden, at least in the branches I have most knowledge of, so I am dubious about the rest of it.

The LDS FHS, I cannot believe I didn't think of that.

Thanks also to Peter and helachau
    kia ora
    daryl