Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile re John Routledge b.1816 Boltongate

John Routledge, of whom there seems to be many in Cumbria, is my great great grandfather. Born around 16.11.1816 in Boltongate which is near Stapleton in Cumbria. He was next found in the 1841 census in Lancashire and I have traced him through his first marriage to Elizabeth Taylor and then to a widow, Susannah Worrall. It was from this last marriage that my great grandfather, Joseph Harris Routledge was born. I have presumed that my John Routledge is the one born 13.11.1816 of George Routledge and Sarah ? in Bolton Cumberland as a previous John Routledge who died when he was 5, was baptised on 1.1.1809 after the marriage of George Routledge and Sarah ? (his baptism lines show her as Sarah Little). John and Sarah married in Bolton in 1808. But I have no proof that this John is the right John as I can't trace a George or Sarah later on, and as I have said, John does not surface anywhere until the 1841 Census. I know he is the right ancestor because of his following history. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

janbooth

I think you are correct in your assumption that your John ROUTLEDGE is the son of George. A transcript of his 2nd marriage is on Ancestry and is shown as having taken place on 6 April 1854 at Walton on the Hill, Lancashire. His father is shown as George ROUTLEDGE and Susannah WORRALL's father is shown as Isaac THORPE. The only baptism I can find online at Bolton is that of the baptism you already have on 13 November 1816 parents George & Sarah ROUTLEDGE.

George & Sarah ROUTLEDGE are in the 1841 census of Bolton Heigh, Cumberland (HO107/160/7, folio 7, page 7) wherein he is shown as aged 75, an Ag Lab born in the county. Sarah is shown as aged 65 also born in the county. Sarah looks to have survived until the 1851 census of Bolton Low (HO107/2433, folio 301, page 30), wherein she is described as an Annuitant, born c1776 at Bolton, living at Quarry Hill. As she is described as an Annuitant, husband George may well have left a Will and if you can find a copy of this, it may well name son John as a legatee. Or the other scenario could be that she inherited a legacy from either of her parents.

As you have said, a George ROUTLEDGE married Sarah LITTLE on 9 April 1808 at Bolton. Sarah, wife of George ROUTLEDGE in the census records was born c1776 at Bolton and Ancestry Select Births & Christenings have the baptism of a Sarah LITTLE at Bolton on 6 September 1777, parents William & Sarah. Using the parameters for George ROUTLEDGE in the 1841 census record, i.e. a birth c1762-1766, there is a baptism at Stapleton on 7 October 1764, father William ROUTLEDGE.

If you do not already have the marriage certificate of John ROUTLEDGE to Susannah WORRALL, I strongly advise you to purchase this which should hopefully verify that his father was a George ROUTLEDGE and give his occupation. Unfortunately, because John was born c1816, he is very unlikely to be with his parents in any census records, so you cannot use them as any verification. It is then a question of searching through the parish registers of Bolton in the first instance and using them to verify John's baptism and whether he survived, remained and married there, in which case he is not your John, and then proceeding further back in time.

A George ROUTLEDGE does appear in the 1798 UK Land Tax records as occupying a property in the township of Stapleton.

Hope this helps a little, anyway.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default re John Routledge b.1816 Boltongate

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    I think you are correct in your assumption that your John ROUTLEDGE is the son of George. A transcript of his 2nd marriage is on Ancestry and is shown as having taken place on 6 April 1854 at Walton on the Hill, Lancashire. His father is shown as George ROUTLEDGE and Susannah WORRALL's father is shown as Isaac THORPE. The only baptism I can find online at Bolton is that of the baptism you already have on 13 November 1816 parents George & Sarah ROUTLEDGE.

George & Sarah ROUTLEDGE are in the 1841 census of Bolton Heigh, Cumberland (HO107/160/7, folio 7, page 7) wherein he is shown as aged 75, an Ag Lab born in the county. Sarah is shown as aged 65 also born in the county. Sarah looks to have survived until the 1851 census of Bolton Low (HO107/2433, folio 301, page 30), wherein she is described as an Annuitant, born c1776 at Bolton, living at Quarry Hill. As she is described as an Annuitant, husband George may well have left a Will and if you can find a copy of this, it may well name son John as a legatee. Or the other scenario could be that she inherited a legacy from either of her parents.

As you have said, a George ROUTLEDGE married Sarah LITTLE on 9 April 1808 at Bolton. Sarah, wife of George ROUTLEDGE in the census records was born c1776 at Bolton and Ancestry Select Births & Christenings have the baptism of a Sarah LITTLE at Bolton on 6 September 1777, parents William & Sarah. Using the parameters for George ROUTLEDGE in the 1841 census record, i.e. a birth c1762-1766, there is a baptism at Stapleton on 7 October 1764, father William ROUTLEDGE.

If you do not already have the marriage certificate of John ROUTLEDGE to Susannah WORRALL, I strongly advise you to purchase this which should hopefully verify that his father was a George ROUTLEDGE and give his occupation. Unfortunately, because John was born c1816, he is very unlikely to be with his parents in any census records, so you cannot use them as any verification. It is then a question of searching through the parish registers of Bolton in the first instance and using them to verify John's baptism and whether he survived, remained and married there, in which case he is not your John, and then proceeding further back in time.

A George ROUTLEDGE does appear in the 1798 UK Land Tax records as occupying a property in the township of Stapleton.

Hope this helps a little, anyway.

Janet
    I don't know if this is where I put my reply, but thank you Janet.
    I will get on with checking as you suggest. At John's firs marriage he quoted John, Accountant as his father
    but when he married Susannah, he quoted George, farmer as his father. So I will get on with it . Thank you again.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Janbooth: Maybe this is where my reply should be. Thank you very much. I will get on with checking as you suggest. At John's first marriage to Elizabeth Taylor he quoted John, Accountant as his father. I found that John. Then when he married Susannah, he quoted George, farmer, as his father. I suspect that John, the accountant, may have been his uncle. However I will get on with what you advise me to do. Thank you again. Joan