Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Wilkes_ml

I believe that Moses DERRETT b. 1810, Kingswood was also a son of James & Hephzibah/Esbee/Hespher etc, but I can not find his baptism. Unfortunately he married Elizabeth MOGRIDGE? in 1833, so no father named. His only daughter Hannah was baptised at the Independent church at Kingswood in 1834, like the majority of the other DERRETT family.

Moses, Eliza & Hannah are together in 1851. In 1841, Hannah is living in a household with no Moses or Eliza(beth) and I can't find Moses & Eliza(beth) yet in 1841. Moses died in 1857, Administration of his estate in 1858 to his widow Elizabeth, so unfortunately no will.

Edited to add that I found the baptism of Moses in 1810 at Kingswood Independent...son of William and Hannah ( surname mis-transcribed as DORRETT)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Great to read all the data, have been busy working on Llewellin Derrett 1826 who was younger brother of my Ancester Lewis Derrett 1822.......I too descend from James 1787 and Hephzibah. Unfortunately my grandmother Flora May smith never spoke of her mother Rhoda Jane to my cousin in Southend on Sea.....The baptism detail for Elizabeth Sarah 1864 shows the change of name in 1882, yet in 1881 she was named as Lizzie in the Census. I believe the NY immigration record shows Emmeline Gunning Derrett plus two children, with Elizabeth (later married to Ralph Douglass), being born very soon after arriving. There is a record for a Lewis Derrett in Military Service in the USA a confederate in the 9th Regiment, Texas infantry, was in Company "B" and served six months....might be an American born Lewis Derrett, also many years of Tax assessments in Cherokee County for a Lewis Derrett, and I believe the last one was about 1900 (ish)......
    Also in USA records I found one Hephzibah Wright, b. 1784 d 1873, buried in Old Hampden Cemetary, Massachusetts. Seems like it might be our girl. Did I mention that my Lewis 1822 was often apart from Emily because he was in chokey so much. he features in several lists of 'criminals', and spent quite a few terms in gaol, including time put away for a bigger heist with other Derrett family members, and all four of them were imprisoned...... Have discovered a prominent Derrett family here in Canterbury, including one Llewellin Derrett so hoping to find a link through the family tree. Not many but their house is a heritage building, Derretts House....... nb ]Hephzibah, Hepzibah or Ebsibah She was the wife of Hezekiah, King of Judah from Wikipedia so will have a check around under Ebsibah, perhaps she used a variant.....these older lines are complicated by poor literacy and the desire to re-invent themselves when emigrating, making life more challenging for us later researchers..... will share any info whih I get hold of. Av

Wilkes_ml

Thanks for the info..I'd be interested to know more about the heist that took place ...who were the other family members involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Avryll View Post
    Also in USA records I found one Hephzibah Wright, b. 1784 d 1873, buried in Old Hampden Cemetary, Massachusetts. Seems like it might be our girl.
    Unfortunately, according to the Massachusetts 1855 Census, this Hephzibah WRIGHT aged 72 (b. 1782-1783) living at Wilbraham, Hampden, Massechusetts was born in Massechusetts. Again in 1865 living at Wilbraham, Hampden, Massechusetts, aged 83 (b. 1781-1782), again recorded as born in Massechusetts. In 1865 she is living with probable son Robert R. WRIGHT aged 54 (b. 1810-1811, Massechussets) who was born same time our Hephzibah was having children in Gloucestershire.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Lewis Derrett 1822 was imprisoned 15.1.1861. occupation Labourer WUE QGC9/2 again 21.1.1865 QGC 9/3 same reference has Henry Derrett 25.12.1865, occupation Tailor WUE.....might have been same crime as same ref number but Lewis was arrested later, or sentenced later.

Lewis Derrett 1822, again imprisoned 13.2.1873, Occ Labourer WUE QGC 9/6......also 13.2.1873, James Derrett WUE and Thomas Derrett, all ref QGC9/6 I have not researched the actual 'felonies' he committed, because his time in prison explained his absences from home. is there any indication that Lewis and Emily Hancock, ever lived together, or perhaps they did live together in the few years which were not census years, and between his times in chokey. One would have to do a timeline chart and I know when he was born, when he died, and now I know he was a colourful chap, along with some other Derrett names.......All the names in this tree are familiar with prison, the Cornacks, Hancocks, Smiths plus more. Perhaps they were habitual poachers, something like that.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456