Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Wilkes_ml

Doh...Just realised it was Esbee WRIGHT who married NOT KNIGHT...so not possibly the Elizabeth KNIGHT baptised at Wotton under Edge

Wilkes_ml

I'm currently going through the Kingswood marriage register around the time that James DERRETT married Esbee WRIGHT, looking for any other marriages that James or Esbee may have witnessed ( as witnesses aren't searchable in the index on Ancestry) and came up with a possible sister

Elizabeth DERRETT married William EARL by banns 19th June 1796 witnessed by James DERRETT and William ALLEN-parish clerk

but the fact that the second time Elizabeth's name was entered by the officiating minister, the ts werent crossed so the surname looked like DERRELL - so another varient I should search for in addition to DER*T, DOR*T and DUR*T.

Wilkes_ml

Another correction...I keep writing Esbee, when it was actually written Ebsee in the marriage register!

I also can not find the index entry of the baptism of John in 1808 on Ancestry...searched on the exact date, and the parents of John & Espey with surname blank...is it possible to pm a direct link please Jan?

I've looked through the Wesleyan Old Town meeting House register page by page, and there are no other children baptised there from 1807 until Elizabeth's baptism in 1811, so I'll have to work my way through each non-conformist register if the place is not given.

Wilkes_ml

Oh ...and another correction....I'm not sure why I thought James DERRETT was a butcher, as his occupation isn't mentioned in any of his children's baptism records.

There may be another James DERRETT who was a butcher, as there is a James DERRETT (butcher) of Cranham son of James DERRETT (butcher) who married Hannah MATTHEWS at St. Michael in the City of Gloucester in 1840, but I have been unable to locate this couple so far in the census to establish where James junior was born.

there was also a marriage of an Ann DERRETT to Richard GRIMES in 1837 at Painswick, daughter of James DERRETT (butcher) witnessed by Sarah DERRETT, and I found her through the census born 1827 Temple, Bristol. So I suspect James senior (Butcher) was a different James to the one at Wotton under Edge.

The Sarah DERRETT daughter of James DERRETT (Butcher) who married George SAVORY at Painswick in 1845 was living at Painswick in the census as was born Cranham 1806-1807.

Wilkes_ml

Sarah DERRETT daughter of James DERRETT (butcher) who married George SAVORY in 1845 at Painswick can also be found in the census at Painswick born 1806-1807 Cranham.

And there are Fanny (bap. 1799), Nancy (bap. 1802) and James (bap. 1809) baptised at Cranham, children of James & Mary. So this is a different family to that of Wotton Under Edge.

Famous for offering help & advice

I can't add any details or research to this, but bear in mind that the Kingswood near Wotton-under-Edge (as opposed to the one on the edge of Bristol) used to be in a detached part of Wiltshire. As it was eventually transferred to Gloucestershire, many of the records are now among the Gloucestershire ones, but I'm pretty sure that some of them are still in Wiltshire, so it's always worth checking there too.

(My wife has ancestors from round there, but none of the names you mention ring a bell.)

Arthur

Michelle, I've just arrived back home and not had time to look, but I think I saw baptisms or maybe marriages for Derrett's with father Edward or could be Thomas (my memory!) around the time of your Derrett's, anyway they were in Wootton and I thought he could be James' brother.
    Alma

There is a baptism for a James Derret, September 1787 , Dursley son of James and Prudence
    Alma

Wilkes_ml

Thanks Alma...I hadn't quite got as far as checking for James & his siblings baptisms, as I'm still not certain that the connection with my Elizabeth is the correct one, though her baptism in 1811 is consistent with her year and place of birth from the census. Unfortunately the other Elizabeth (daughter of William & Mary) though probably a cousin was born and baptised at the same place in 1809 so a bit too close time wise for me to be comfortable with assuming I have the right baptism.

I'll send off for the death certificates of all possible parents and continue searching for marriages/wills of all possible siblings with the hope of finding Elizabeth HARDING nee DERRETT as a witness/informant/beneficary.

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    I can't add any details or research to this, but bear in mind that the Kingswood near Wotton-under-Edge (as opposed to the one on the edge of Bristol) used to be in a detached part of Wiltshire. As it was eventually transferred to Gloucestershire, many of the records are now among the Gloucestershire ones, but I'm pretty sure that some of them are still in Wiltshire, so it's always worth checking there too.

(My wife has ancestors from round there, but none of the names you mention ring a bell.)

Arthur
    I'll have to see if Kingswood was part of Wiltshire in 1841 as 3 trees on Ancestry have the other possible father of Elizabeth, William DERRETT being born 1766 in Wotton Under Edge. However, he was living in Wotton Under Edge (Gloucester) in 1841 but the 1841 census states he was born in Wiltshire (kindly enumerator actually specified Wiltshire for those born in Wiltshire, whilst the others were all marked Y for born in Gloucestershire!) ....I wonder if that was because Kingswood was part of Wiltshire in 1841, but literally next door to Wotton under Edge.

William was actually born 1775-1776 from his age at burial in 1849 which ties in with his age in the 1841 census, so I believe the 3 trees on ancestry have given William the wrong baptism in 1766 with the wrong parents.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast