Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Closed churchyards and burial grounds

It's far easier for you to read all about it, rather than me try to paraphrase everything. https://www.
    deceasedonline.com

To access the list, click 'coverage' in the top banner, then 'name' from the drop-down menu, and from the alphabetical list select 'Anglesey (The National Archives)'.
    The list of closed churchyards is not in alphabetical order; just listed by Region order.

Please note what it says about searching for just a name and location, and why you should not include a date.

Pam
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 10-02-2023 at 5:09 PM. Reason: Updating link
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam
    I am Danish and living in Denmark. Is it possible to be able to look into English church records online?
    I have been able to find birth years in UK census's, but I would very much like to have a full date of birth.
    Thank you; Henning Karlby

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Henning,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

The answer to your question is yes and no. That's because it depends which county/counties (even which country, as Scotland has always been different) you're referring to, and also what sort of time period you're talking about.
    In general, assume that you won't find a birth date in English and Welsh church records (what we usually refer to as parish registers, PRs for short). That's because the church records are for baptisms, marriages and burials, which are in two cases not the same as births, marriages, and deaths. However, sometimes with baptism records a birthdate is given, but it's impossible to give dates in which it happened in every church. And to slightly complicate matters, by 'church' we usually mean Church of England, as opposed to non-conformists such as Roman Catholics, Methodists, etc..

Then we come to whether you mean being able to see an image of the page in the PR, or a transcription. Sticking purely with England for the moment, again the answer is yes and no. The three biggest genealogy sites as regards English PRs are Findmypast (FMP), Ancestry, and FamilySearch (FS).
    I would say that FS has the biggest index (transcription), but it does work with both FMP and Ancestry so they may haveFS transcriptions on their sites.
    FS also has some PR images on its website, with a lot more available if you visit one of the LDS Family History Centres.

FMP and Ancestry don't usually overlap with county coverage, probably the main exception being in London where Ancestry have the bulk of the parishes but FMP have the parishes in Westminster diocese. (A diocese is similar to a county, but is a church area, as opposed to a civil area.)

For births after 1 July 1837 when civil registration of BMDs began in England and Wales you should be able to find out the birthdate by purchasing a copy of the birth certificate though prior to 1874 not all births were registered.

The best thing is for you to say which counties you're looking at, and the time period (I know you say 'census' but the 1851 census has an amazing number of people born as early as 1750 +/- five years in it), and we'll be able to help you more precisely.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”